Orbital Transport Project Completed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work! Still can’t believe you can get side a smooth finish with a brush!

How did she come out for weight? This is one glider that you probably do NOT want to be a duration competitor!

Bob - Thanks! It was a very fun build, particularly the detailing portion.
BABAR - I still haven't quite perfected the brush painting techniques. I use sable or soft synthetic brushes, and thin the acrylic paint about 50% with water. Just like with spray painting, I apply several light, thin coats to gradually build up the color. No matter how careful I am, there are still some visible brush lines.
The Orbiter weighs in at 14.3 grams, but I haven't yet taken it out for glide trimming. I suspect the necessary nose weight will take it close to 15 grams.
No, these delta-wing gliders are not suited for duration, but they can still be trimmed out for a nice flat glide with a moderate sink rate. I expect to get around a minute on the Orbiter flying the tandem on a B6-4 motor.

Bob - Thanks! It was a very fun build, particularly the detailing portion.
BABAR - I still haven't quite perfected the brush painting techniques. I use sable or soft synthetic brushes, and thin the acrylic paint about 50% with water. Just like with spray painting, I apply several light, thin coats to gradually build up the color. No matter how careful I am, there are still some visible brush lines.
The Orbiter weighs in at 14.3 grams, but I haven't yet taken it out for glide trimming. I suspect the necessary nose weight will take it close to 15 grams.
No, these delta-wing gliders are not suited for duration, but they can still be trimmed out for a nice flat glide with a moderate sink rate. I expect to get around a minute on the Orbiter flying the tandem on a B6-4 motor.
Designate your spotters ahead of time. Otherwise invariably all the spotters are watching the same component!

Back