OpenRocket inconsistency?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is a very minor issue...

When selecting and simulating a motor in OpenRocket, the results vary from one run to the next. You can even create more than one simulation with the same motor and get different results when executing the 'Run Simulation' button simultaneously. Granted, they'll be very close - you might see a foot or two difference in apogee or a few tenths in ground hit velocity, etc. It just seems very odd. Anybody know what's going on? I've seen this on multiple .ork files including ones I've made myself and a few I downloaded from Mach1's website.

1588712877988.png

This is a very minor issue...

When selecting and simulating a motor in OpenRocket, the results vary from one run to the next. You can even create more than one simulation with the same motor and get different results when executing the 'Run Simulation' button simultaneously. Granted, they'll be very close - you might see a foot or two difference in apogee or a few tenths in ground hit velocity, etc. It just seems very odd. Anybody know what's going on? I've seen this on multiple .ork files including ones I've made myself and a few I downloaded from Mach1's website.

View attachment 415216
You may have wind turned on, which will affect the result. Set wind to 0 and see what happens.

That makes perfect sense! Good call, and it definitely stopped the variance. I'd wondered if there was some sort of randomized calculation in the background, but didn't even think to look at wind. Thanks!

Back