Simulating Jolly Logic Chute Release in OpenRocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never got too scientific about how to simulate a JLCR in Rocksim... I add a dummy streamer of minimal width, length and weight to deploy at apogee (electronic) or at the ejection charge event (non-electronic) ....The dummy streamer ensures the software knows the rocket breaks apart at apogee (so it does not come in ballistic).... The descent rates in Rocksim for the drogue-less deployment are reasonable for every sim of every rocket I've flown with a JLCR, so it is clear Rocksim takes into account the basic dimensions of the nose cone, airframe and fin profile in calculating the descent rate under drogue-less conditions.

Not likely. If you use a dummy streamer of minimal size, then you get the drag characteristics of that tiny streamer. Rocksim will simulate a descent velocity with essentially no drag. It doesn't know how to describe the drag of the other pieces of a chaotically falling drogueless rocket. At least not in my version 10.0.

Streamer sims are notoriously flakey. I like to use a dummy parachute instead to tune the descent rate to realistic values.

Back