OpenRocket 22.02 Malformed XML in input?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormbringergrey

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've designed the same rocket twice now and I each time I get the following error when trying to reopen (OR 22.02)

Unable to open file 'SB Mini BT-80.ork': Exception loading stream: Malformed XML in input.

The design is based on library components, no imported textures. The two attempted builds were slightly different, if there's a corrupted library component not sure I would have hit it twice. I tried a quick 4FNC design, saved and opened no problem. The new design is a downscale of a design I worked on in the previous version of OR, I was able to open, modify, and reopen the original design with no problem. I've got about 3 hours invested in the design, would like to recover the file, even if not, don't want to layout the same design a 3rd time with the same result. Anyone have some guesses?

Attachments

• SB Mini BT-80.ork
    3.7 KB · Views: 0
Fixed, although an XML editor helps.

The cause of the error is explained in this thread:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/an-open-rocket-problem.180063/
Essentially, a double quote (") in the part description, ie: 3.25" tube corrupts the XML formatting.

To fix, the ork master file is really a zip archive. Change the file extension to .zip and the design file is the rocket.ork file found inside. Unpack the rocket.ork and change the file extension to .xml. From here any text editor will work but a dedicated editor like Dreamweaver color codes the XML tags and it's easy to pick out the corrupting double quote.

that's a lame bug, rookie level. hasn't been fixed yet? I guess I ought to dive In and just do it, but I'm allergic to java.

that's a lame bug, rookie level. hasn't been fixed yet? I guess I ought to dive In and just do it, but I'm allergic to java.
If you had read through the linked thread, you would have seen:

This issue has been fixed after the 22.02 release and will be included in the next release.

Which the developer kindly repeated for you again.

It’s hard to understand being outright rude to the folks who have developed a product that so many of us on this forum depend on for many things. Especially as an open source application.

Tony

It’s hard to understand being outright rude to the folks who have developed a product that so many of us on this forum depend on for many things. Especially as an open source application.
Same to you.

Sorry my tone of voice didn't come across in the text. I simply meant that grooming user input and correctly escaping metacharacters is standard coding practice. There are APIs for that. I think forgetting this is something all programmers do once, and never forget again. look for Little Bobby Tables in XKCD, it's an oldie.

Same to you.

Sorry my tone of voice didn't come across in the text. I simply meant that grooming user input and correctly escaping metacharacters is standard coding practice. There are APIs for that. I think forgetting this is something all programmers do once, and never forget again. look for Little Bobby Tables in XKCD, it's an oldie.
Little Bobby Tables is one of my favorite XKCD Strips, @cls :)

Exploits of a Mom

If my company still worked in an office building, I would pay to have it scaled up and printed and I would place it on the wall behind my desk for the FNG's :)

But I do agree with @mannixFan as far as the tone of your post. OR is an amazing Free, Open Source App and I learn something new every time I use it. One of these days I want to climb into the code to see how it works ... one of these days ... but I want to build and fly a few rockets first ...

-- kjh

Last edited:
Fixed, although an XML editor helps.

The cause of the error is explained in this thread:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/an-open-rocket-problem.180063/
Essentially, a double quote (") in the part description, ie: 3.25" tube corrupts the XML formatting.

To fix, the ork master file is really a zip archive. Change the file extension to .zip and the design file is the rocket.ork file found inside. Unpack the rocket.ork and change the file extension to .xml. From here any text editor will work but a dedicated editor like Dreamweaver color codes the XML tags and it's easy to pick out the corrupting double quote.
Yup

Back