OpenRocket 12.09 - 3D, component presets, etc.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sampo

Reaction score
Hi,

The next version of OpenRocket, 12.09, has been released. Since there's so many oft-requested improvements, I'm posting a note also here.

One of the biggest new features is a 3D design view of the rocket, thanks mainly to great work by Bill Kuker. The 3D view is available by clicking the "3D" button above the schematic. This is still in an experimental phase, and we'd be interested in hearing of any issues with it. Good progress is being made also towards a photo-realistic 3D, including decals.

Another major improvement is component presets / databases, thanks to work by Kevin Ruland and Doug Pedrick. The current library contains components from Blue Tube, BMS, Estes, Fliskits, Giant Leap, Public Missiles, Quest and Semroc.

Another extension is custom expressions, by Richard Graham. This allows defining and computing specific expressions such kinetic energy, corrective moment coefficient, etc. A list of various expressions is in the wiki at https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/openrocket/index.php?title=List_of_useful_custom_expressions

There's also a number of other smaller improvements, such as fractional inches as length unit, typing expressions in the fields (like "1+2*3.7"), separate unit selection for wind speed, most recently used files, printing enhancements and new translations.

A corresponding release for Android will follow shortly.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

:w: :wave: Thank you! I'll give it a try in a few minutes! :horse:
EDIT: Hmm, 3D won't work for me for some reason. :confused: OR closes and I get an error message that says: OpenRocket quit unexpectedly while using the libjogl_desktop.jnilib plug-in. Is this a Mac problem?

Last edited:
Rocket builder

Was that error only after you selected 3d? If so we'll need to get a bunch of system info from you. Please pm me.

Also try upgrading to the latest version of java (1.7_07 or something like that)

Kevin

Hi,

The next version of OpenRocket, 12.09, has been released. Since there's so many oft-requested improvements, I'm posting a note also here.

One of the biggest new features is a 3D design view of the rocket, thanks mainly to great work by Bill Kuker. The 3D view is available by clicking the "3D" button above the schematic. This is still in an experimental phase, and we'd be interested in hearing of any issues with it. Good progress is being made also towards a photo-realistic 3D, including decals.

Another major improvement is component presets / databases, thanks to work by Kevin Ruland and Doug Pedrick. The current library contains components from Blue Tube, BMS, Estes, Fliskits, Giant Leap, Public Missiles, Quest and Semroc.

Another extension is custom expressions, by Richard Graham. This allows defining and computing specific expressions such kinetic energy, corrective moment coefficient, etc. A list of various expressions is in the wiki at https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/openrocket/index.php?title=List_of_useful_custom_expressions

There's also a number of other smaller improvements, such as fractional inches as length unit, typing expressions in the fields (like "1+2*3.7"), separate unit selection for wind speed, most recently used files, printing enhancements and new translations.

A corresponding release for Android will follow shortly.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!! I am downloading it right now.

EDIT: OR is crashing for me, I am on a macbook Air and it is crashing when I try 3D mode.
Why?

Last edited:
Hey Kevin!

3D view gave me a list of errors when I selected it as well. I believe the error report was sent when I selected the "Send Report" button. Let me know if I need to re=send.

Ubuntu 12.04 64-Bit

jpummil@hex:~$ java -showversionjava version "1.6.0_24"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.11.3) (6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.12.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.0-b12, mixed mode)

OK, so I downloaded the latest version of Java, but I still get the same error. Is there anything I need to do with Java after I hit the download button? (I.e., open it or something?)
Weirdly, the (AWESOME!) 3D feature works on my older Macbook. :confused2:
EDIT: Kruland, yes, it was only after selecting 3D.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the effort and time you put into Open Rocket. Thank you!!!

Hi,

Since the 3D feature may cause problems with some, there's a way to disable it to use the software. From the command line (or otherwise starting from a command prompt) you can start with:

java -Dopenrocket.3d.disable -jar OpenRocket-12.09.jar

This will disable all 3D functionality and should allow you to enjoy the other goodies. But please send the automated bug report (if presented) or otherwise report the problems so we can try to fix the issues.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

Sampo: I don't have any problems with the software unless I try to open the 3D feature. Everything else seems to work fine. I sent a bug report, so I hope that helps.
Another EDIT (since I just love editing so much :rolleyes:): Apparently my computer deviously lied to me and did not download Java. I'm about to go run some errands, but when I get back I'll try installing it properly. Based on what I've already tried, I'm pretty sure this a Java problem.

Last edited:
I see you can pick stage separation to trigger parachute deployment, but it looks like you still cant set it for having your booster stage come down under chute. I wish it could track the altitudes and velocities of my booster as it falls.

The 3d works great for me under windows xp. Can you rotate it on all 3 planes, or just two? That would be more useful than moving the light source around. Decals will be cool, hopefully we'll be able to turn off the "transparency" to see only how the rocket will look from the outside.

Fractions work well, but it seems like the data boxes have been reduced in accuracy to fewer decimal places. I cant do .125 for 1/8 fins anymore, it cuts it to .12

Presets are cool. I'd like to see LOC tube in there since I mostly use the program for mid and lower-high power. Rail buttons would be nice too. I currently just make solid lugs of the right size.

Thanks for all the work. I cant imagine making a scratchbuild without this program.

... but it seems like the data boxes have been reduced in accuracy to fewer decimal places. I cant do .125 for 1/8 fins anymore, it cuts it to .12

Yeah, I noticed that-- I wonder what the reason for that was? It seems like it might cause some inaccuracy problems with component masses and such.

I just installed it on my laptop and it looks real good so far.

Just tried it on my laptop with Windows 7. Looks great. No problem with 3D.

The 3d works great for me under windows xp. Can you rotate it on all 3 planes, or just two? That would be more useful than moving the light source around. Decals will be cool, hopefully we'll be able to turn off the "transparency" to see only how the rocket will look from the outside.

That's just the 3D design schematic, it's not meant for realism. Later the "photo-realistic" 3D will have more rotation options. We're still concepting how it should work.

We'll have a look at the precision issue. There was some discussion, and it may have been deliberately reduced to two digits precision. Maybe that's not always enough (the 1/8 case like you said). Opinions on required/sufficient precision are welcome.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

We'll have a look at the precision issue. There was some discussion, and it may have been deliberately reduced to two digits precision. Maybe that's not always enough (the 1/8 case like you said). Opinions on required/sufficient precision are welcome.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

When using 'in' units, the display is limited to hundreths (0.12) however, internally the resolution is much finer (1/10 mm?) so indeed typing in .125 will give you the correct length. Just presentation is limited. You should try using the 'in/64' presentation because there it will show 1/8 for 1/8 of inch.

If I recall, when I implemented in/64, I also changed the 'in' presentation to hundreths because that seemed good enough when working with decimal fractions of inches.

Kevin

Just wanted to say thanks for the work that went into this new version. All features (including the sweet new 3D view) seem to be working fine on my 2011 17" MBP with 10.7.4

Works fine on my Netbook...which is the same Java version as on my workstation...

jpummil@cobalt:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_24"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.11.3) (6b24-1.11.3-1ubuntu0.11.10.1)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 20.0-b12, mixed mode)

Works for me now that I figured out that I hadn't properly installed the latest version of Java. If you remove the internal components, you can create a basic color scheme. Anyway, I LOVE the 3D! :D

Looks cool,played around with it a little.The slider bar to rotate doesn't work for me in 3d.Still cool thanks guys

Wow, works on my Lenovo T61. I LOVE IT!!!! THANK YOU SAMPO!!!
I <3 Openrocket!

Yeah, I think carrying the precision out to 3 places is the way to go. Thanks, Dave

.005 inch is about .1mm which is much narrower than the best pencil line.

I'm sorry the change in display for the 'in' unit to 2 digits is causing such troubles. For those of us who have to suffer through imperial units, the 'in/64' unit will be much more pleasant to work with. People are probably getting tripped up because "1.125" is quickly recognizable as "1 1/8" but "1.12" is not.

I'll poke through the old code to see what 12.03 did, and revert to that. However, this change will probably not be enough to necessitate a new build.

Kevin

I just downloaded Open Rocket 12.09 this morning, and clicking on 3D closes the program. I updated to Java 7, and it still does it. It doesn't give me any error messages. I'm running an HP desktop with Windows Vista Business.

I just noticed that body tube wall thickness goes to at least 3 decimal points. I wish you'd allow fin thickness 3 decimal points, too. I prefer that to inch fractional.

I'm using an older Gateway laptop, running Vista, and 3D works fine for me.

I particularly like the 'Open Recent' drop down, saves me from digging through my files.

I just downloaded a couple days ago, so I am still finding the new improvements.

Thanks for an awesome program! I can't wait to see the next Version!

Photo-realistic with decals would be sweet!

Maybe you could hook up with some of our resident decal guys for some 'preset graphics'?

Edit - I kinda feel dumb for asking, but what does the 'Custom Expressions' do; what is it used for?

Last edited:
Hi,

The custom expressions allows you to define more complex and esoteric things to compute during simulation time. There's been some threads here on how to compute this-and-that from the OR output. The expressions make that a whole lot simpler. Have a look at https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/openrocket/index.php?title=List_of_useful_custom_expressions

I'd also like to emphasize that I have done little development in the latest release, and almost all of the new features are from others. It's fantastic to see an active developer community building around the project. A big hand especially to Bill Kuker for the amount of work he did (and is still doing) for the 3D feature.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

Back