Open Rocket Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello.
I'm trying to design my own rocket. I recently downloaded Open Rocket, but am unable to figure out how to launch the application. I've looked on the Open Rocket web site , but was unable to find any clear instructions. Can anyone please point me in the right direction? ( I am using Windows 10).
Thanks in adance

Ok, I'm working on my Tom Corbett Polaris and managed to get OpenRocket to sim it.
I ran a sim with a C6-7 and OR said optimum delay would be 4.9 sec. I re-ran with a C6-5 and got completely different numbers and a lower peak altitude. Initial velocity for 49.4 ft/s for C6-5 vs 51.3 ft/sec with C6-7. this does not make much sense to me. Any advice or reasoning?

Ok, I'm working on my Tom Corbett Polaris and managed to get OpenRocket to sim it.
I ran a sim with a C6-7 and OR said optimum delay would be 4.9 sec. I re-ran with a C6-5 and got completely different numbers and a lower peak altitude. Initial velocity for 49.4 ft/s for C6-5 vs 51.3 ft/sec with C6-7. this does not make much sense to me. Any advice or reasoning?
Sorry, somehow I never saw this. Did you ever figure it out? If not, then please post the ORK file and I'll have a look.

It appears that motor & configurations and flight simulations are not saved with the *.rkt files. Has anyone had this experience? Is there a fix.
Is there a reason you're saving to RKT format rather than ORK? I confess I don't know what limitations there may be when saving RKT files, but I know that ORK files include motor and configuration and flight simulation results.

Oops. I am thinking we are having a failure to communicate. I don't understand your previous post . Lets try again. Both file types load motors and run simulations. After loading motors and running simulations, when the ORK file is saved the motors & configuration information is not saved. When the ORK file is opened again motor selection fields are blank and there are no flight simulations.

Using the same procedure with RKT files results in saved motor and flight simulation, as you stated.

Hope this helps.

Okay. That was easy. I thought that that they were so different that "save as" was not an option. Occmans razor. I should have tried it before I opened this thread. Its not the first time preconceived ideas have gotten in my way.

Thank you for your response and patience. I really appreciate your help.

Sorry, somehow I never saw this. Did you ever figure it out? If not, then please post the ORK file and I'll have a look.
Well this is interesting. I reloaded the file and was annoyed that the motor info was missing. Redid it and exported the design data (attached) and now it was almost the same. Saved and reloaded and motors missing again. Redid and then realized that the program was saving in RSim. Reset to save as ORK and now all the data is there and low and behold, the apogees now match.
After the initial flights the landing legs kept breaking off (wood failure, not glue, so have decided to redo with the landing struts detachable and fly without and use them for display only. Still this has been a fun project. Conquoring 3D printing for the fake nozzles was very satisfying (they are not on the sim. Yet.TC Polaris in village.jpg

Attachments

• TC Polaris.pdf
    27.6 KB · Views: 8
  • TC Polaris.ork
    86.2 KB · Views: 5
Back