Ooops! Saturn V on wrong motor!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patternflyer

Reaction score
All’s well that ends well, but still.......

Let this be a reminder that we must pay attention to what motors we put in our rockets. I learned a very important lesson the other day!

Last edited:
The point about cutting packaging things slowly rather than ripping is a good one.

Two potential hazards to be aware of or additional lessons to be learned for next time: Seems to be an airplane or helicopter passing by in one of the launch videos, was that not too far from your field? Best to wait for no approaching general aviation air traffic in the pattern before launching, even for a low altitude LPR rocket. If you are actually a pilot as your User ID perhaps suggests I am sure you can appreciate that precaution. Also, had you used a C6-3 and the chute deployed properly at apogee, you may have had an entanglement with those power lines on the way down, seems like the nose dive actually made it pretty close to those, perhaps a little bit of drift under a chute might have been even closer.

I was watching and thinking that the terrain around you looked familiar. Then I looked at your location. Have you come out to the Tripoli launches at Jean? If not, you should.

Two potential hazards to be aware of or additional lessons to be learned for next time: Seems to be an airplane or helicopter passing by in one of the launch videos, was that not too far from your field? Best to wait for no approaching general aviation air traffic in the pattern before launching, even for a low altitude LPR rocket. If you are actually a pilot as your User ID perhaps suggests I am sure you can appreciate that precaution. Also, had you used a C6-3 and the chute deployed properly at apogee, you may have had an entanglement with those power lines on the way down, seems like the nose dive actually made it pretty close to those, perhaps a little bit of drift under a chute might have been even closer.

Thank you very much for your feedback and suggestions. To provide clarification on those matters:

1. Yes, what you see in the background is a descending airliner landing at our local airport. It is flying away from my position. I am launching 12 miles away and am completely outside of the Class B and all other "controlled" airspace. If/when any aircraft are in in my vicinity, they are typically 2,500 to 4,000 AGL while inbound. Outbound aircraft are much higher. I use the "FlightRadar 24" app prior to all launches to confirm that the skies are clear and no known aircraft are approaching my launch area. Great app by the way! I encourage everyone to download that. Very accurate and fun to monitor. I most definitely appreciate your precaution on that point.

2. In reference to the power lines you see, yes, the trajectory of the rocket did ascend at an angle that took it in that direction. However, the wind was out of the north, so any wind drift would have brought it back in toward the launch area. If the winds are out of the south, then, I obviously would launch from a more southern location.

I was watching and thinking that the terrain around you looked familiar. Then I looked at your location. Have you come out to the Tripoli launches at Jean? If not, you should.

I have not yet been out to see those launches, but would love to someday. Please let me know or send me a private message giving me the details so I can attend. Thank you!

...the trajectory of the rocket did ascend at an angle that took it in that direction. However, the wind was out of the north, so any wind drift would have brought it back in toward the launch area...

That is a very good point. The underpowered rocket tends to weathervane into the wind for sure. If the chute popped at apogee, it would have certainly drifted back in the other direction downwind. My mistake for suggesting that it would have gone closer in that direction, I had that totally backwards, or was assuming a no-wind condition in which case it would not drift that far either.

Maybe try one of the newly reissued C5 engines for a more impressive kick off from the pad, (confusing but the names don't reflect the relative peak thrust in this case, see the thrust curves posted here: https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket-Motors/Estes-Motors/18mm-Motors/Estes-Motors-C5-3) whether or not it goes higher, might actually be a toss-up? I would guess it may go higher on the C5.

Back