• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Older Rocketry Electronics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeltaClipper

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for some older rocketry electronics. Doesn’t need to be functional, this is just something I collect. Please reach out if you have anything you would be interested in moving on.

Picture (credit to ukrocketman) is just for reference.

Liam

Attachments

• 1716687086556.png
    1716687086556.png
    185.3 KB · Views: 0
How old is "older"? I have a PerfectFlite Alt15K WD, for example, that will likely never fly again, one mystery piece of electronics that someone gave me (if I can find it), as well as first-generation AltimeterOne and AltimeterTwo that don't last long on a charge anymore.

Good point, things I am interested are include:

- ALTACC, Black Sky Research
- Cambridge Instruments IAX-96, Emmanuel Avionics
- Olsen FCP-M2, Olsen
- R-DAS Classic, AED
- R-DAS Compact, AED
- G-WIZ LC, G-Wiz Partners
- G-WIZ LC Deluxe, G-Wiz Partners
- Co-Pilot, PML
- Anything fro Adept, PerfectFlite, Missileworks, Xavien

The PerfectFlite Alt15K WD and the 'mystery piece of electronics' sound interesting to me! I will send you a PM.

This oldie is not something you are interested in, but your post gives me a chance to show it off. It's a Transolve P2, and I used it between 2000 and 2008, making 44 flights with it. Not quite point-to-point wiring, but only slightly more modern. It's a fairly tough unit: it spent one summer in a corn field, recovered after harvest, and a few years later it spent 18 months in the top of a 75' pine tree, eventually falling out when the phenolic body tube absorbed enough rain water to disintegrate.
I stopped using Transolves when I found out how sensitive they are to contact bounce. I never liked having the ejection charges go off while I was standing next to the rocket.

Attachments

• P2 back red.jpg
    P2 back red.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 0
  • P2 front red.jpg
    P2 front red.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 0
Good point, things I am interested are include:

- ALTACC, Black Sky Research
- Cambridge Instruments IAX-96, Emmanuel Avionics
- Olsen FCP-M2, Olsen
- R-DAS Classic, AED
- R-DAS Compact, AED
- G-WIZ LC, G-Wiz Partners
- G-WIZ LC Deluxe, G-Wiz Partners
- Co-Pilot, PML
- Anything fro Adept, PerfectFlite, Missileworks, Xavien

The PerfectFlite Alt15K WD and the 'mystery piece of electronics' sound interesting to me! I will send you a PM.
PM responded to with a sampler of stuff I have to hand, including the mystery device, which according to the paperwork is a magnetic apogee detector (!).

Perfect Flite MAWD and Original Mini-Timer.

MAWD worked last time I used it in a flight about 14 years ago. Examination shows that Electrolytic Capacitor should be replaced. Easy fix as cut leads and attach new one to the circuit board Pads.

Mini Timer was only tested, never used in a flight. PM if interested:
1716903296202.png
1716903447629.png

For the pièce de résistance this is the Ypsilanti Flight Hobbies [THOY's brother] FLT4 Rocket Computer from 1989/90.

This one has the updated 1990 code in it. Also seen is the old style RS-232 connector to set it up and stuff.
Notice the Hi Tech Switch on board for apogee detection! Thermistor, CdS photo resistor for roll rate and other sensors attached to it.

It uses an 8 bit processor 68XX with the EPROM built into the 28 pin DIP package. Also an ADC on-board. Quarter shown for scale. PM me if interested.

1716913569978.png

Not that it helps with collecting, as I don't have it any more, but once upon a time I soldered together a Taniwha Flight Computer kit, including the optional ADXL50 accelerometer. Stalled out on programming it, so never flew it. Anyone ever fly one of those things? Amazingly, the website for it is still live.

I have an RDAS compact (v3.1 SN 01390) with ADXL-250 breakout board purchased in late 2001.

RDAS-v3-v4-ADXL-250.jpeg

Of note, it is featured on p241 of the 7th edition of the Handbook of Model Rocketry.

HoMR-v7-p241.jpeg

The last time I flew it was at LDRS 23 in 2004.

The lot includes a newer RDAS and a bunch of ancillary cables. PM if interested.

Since we're showing off our old electronics, I'll drop this here:

20240530_074409.jpg

The laughably huge Aerocon MCT-100 timer and "intervalometer" (to activate a still camera, etc.)

Attachments

• Aerocon MCT-100 .pdf
    639.6 KB · Views: 0
Do you have a large, 35mm film camera to go with that?

I have an Olympus 35mm camera with electric drive that fits a 2.56" payload with camera downfacing hood made by Ray Dunakin. I traded him one of my Booster Vision video kits for one of his film kits. I used it once and had a real good picture of the MIS speedway taken.

Now if I could find that picture again in my archive files, problem is never was indexed, and I can't even remember the exact year.

Here is a page with some of Ray's Payloads, he used an electronic camera timer similar to the Xavian one in the above posts to trigger the shutter button and the camera would advance to the next frame and shoot the next picture.

https://www.raydunakin.com/Site/Rocketry.html

Last edited:
Well, to go with post 11 and 12 above here is my Ozark Aerospace ARTS board.

I was moving stuff around to help vent the garage as we have an unusually low dewpoint today and I wanted to get the dampness out from the heavy rains we have had. About 1/2 way thru the chore I stopped to rest for a bit and right in front of me was the ARTS board on a shelf on it's sled I last used it on in 2012 on my very last BlackRock trip.

I just put it on my electronics bench to check out, as the battery is dead when I tried to start it just now. Only 1.7 volts on a Duracell after these years.

1717095358553.png

I have a 'defy gravity' brand 'rocket control' from around 2004 that I used on my L3 flight. It had a lot of features for it's time. Tonight I'll try to dig it out of the garage and take a picture of it.

I also have a 'motor topper' accelerometer based apogee controller. I believe it was originally developed for the Aerotech Electronic Forward Closure.

I have a 'defy gravity' brand 'rocket control' from around 2004 that I used on my L3 flight. It had a lot of features for it's time. Tonight I'll try to dig it out of the garage and take a picture of it.

I also have a 'motor topper' accelerometer based apogee controller. I believe it was originally developed for the Aerotech Electronic Forward Closure.

Did it have a "glow plug" to ignite the charge?

Did it have a "glow plug" to ignite the charge?
no, it was just the electronic portion, not the closure and charge well. it operated off of a 12v small stack of coin cell batteries (I think it's the A23 designation) It should be in the same box as the defy gravity control in my garage. I'll see if I can find it tonight.

As promised....

The defy gravity 'control'
20240530_180514.jpg

The DMF Rockets 'motor topper'
20240530_180738.jpg

And a hand soldered Aerocon Systems magnetic apogee detector (front and back shown)
20240530_180934.jpg20240530_180942.jpg

I also have a NIB Ozark Aerospace ARTS2 that i won at a raffle at either an LDRS or ROCstock, and never used20240530_180837.jpg

In 1979 PlasmaJet was experimenting with flight recorders. Here is an early 8-bit 4 channel non CPU flight recorder prototype. The blue potentiometer at the top adjusted the data capture rate between 5Hz to 50Hz.

Attachments

• 20220624_193020.jpg
    20220624_193020.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
In 1979 PlasmaJet was experimenting with flight recorders. Here is an early 8-bit 4 channel non CPU flight recorder prototype. The blue potentiometer at the top adjusted the data capture rate between 5Hz to 50Hz.

@Spacedog49Krell What is the recording medium, and how is the data retrieved?

Do you have a large, 35mm film camera to go with that?

@pugachu Launching a 35mm point-and-shoot camera was very much on my to-do list that I never got around to. I built a little controller circuit using a flashing LED and a transistor, but never bought a camera. I guess there's no reason I couldn't still do it.

Launching a 35mm point-and-shoot camera was very much on my to-do list that I never got around to. I built a little controller circuit using a flashing LED and a transistor, but never bought a camera. I guess there's no reason I couldn't still do it.
Heh, did that once as well, using a 555 timer circuit hard-wired into the shutter contacts to take a picture every few seconds. Since the camera looked out the side of the rocket, and since it was swinging around quite a bit under the 'chute, only got a couple clear frames. Still fun though.
Word to the wise: discharge the flash capacitor immediately upon opening the camera housing, before you start working on the camera. Granted, I did discharge it—across my thumb. Lost about a second of my life there!

@Spacedog49Krell What is the recording medium, and how is the data retrieved?

@pugachu Launching a 35mm point-and-shoot camera was very much on my to-do list that I never got around to. I built a little controller circuit using a flashing LED and a transistor, but never bought a camera. I guess there's no reason I couldn't still do it.
The recording medium is a 2KB EEPROM. The idea came from an early single stepping (E)PROM writer. I encountered issues with EPROM's writing correctly when a friend in Silicon Valley told me he was working on EEPROMs. The EEPROMs wrote reliably. The data was retrieved through a PROM programmer in my Apple II.

Back