Old Rocksim version question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbusdriver

Reaction score
Call me a dinosaur, but I still have, and use, Version 4.0. Cash is limited, and the little spare I have for rockets goes for hardware and propulsion.
So, here I am with an antiquated program, and a very old motor list. Is there a way to get the current .eng files to work with this version? When I tried to install the AT files, it wiped out all the motor files and gave me an error message, requiring a reload of the program (2 floppies, pretty quick!)
The program works fine for me but it just lacks many current motors, and the current crop of .eng files and ver 4.0 don't play well together.
Is there any hope, or do I start saving for 8.0?
Dave

Edited to fix tech error

I still have and use RockSim version 4.0 as well. The .eng format has not changed since version 4.0 and you should be able to load all the newer motor files. Make sure you download the .eng (RASP) format of the motor files the newer .rse file will not work in the older versions of the software. Unzip and or place the new .eng files into the Data folder under program files/apogee/rocksim. Use the engine compiler under the RockSim PROGRAM folder called CompEng.EXE to compile all the new engines into the program (be sure to put the motors you want into the "add" column). Then quit the CompEng program. Start RockSim and then select "relaod engine data" under the File menu.

I usesd Wordpad to open some of the new motor files and they look the same (in terms of format) as the older motor files I have. Are you running RockSim 4.0 using Windows 95? If not, what OS are you using. If you are running Win XP try using the Win 95 emulation mode.

Hope this helps,

Bruce S. Levison, NAR# 69055

Back