Off center grain core - defective?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveo

Reaction score
I was trying to launch a CTI G54 when I had trouble inserting the igniter. Having never flown the motor, I just assumed that's how it was. After burning out the igniter I took off the nozzle and realized the grain core was off center. Not just off center - it runs down the side of the motor.

I'm guessing that isn't safe to fly...but thought I would check before contacting the dealer. Thoughts?

CTI_G54.jpg

Its packaging only states it is a G54 Red Lightning. No mention of moon burner. Don't even see that listed on the CTI product page. But good to know it is safe to fly.

I've seen many dodgy BATES grains over the years (even from the largest manufactures) where the central core was drilled off-centre and/or crooked, but this one's far enough off to leave little doubt that it's an intentional moon burner :)

TP

Yup that things sends the Mini class rockets to the moon! AND with a quickness.:cool:
1lb rocket with 25lb off the pad followed by almost 3 secs thrust makes for fun drag race....USE a tracker or say bye..bye..

Latest posts

Back