NYPOWER 15 - July 23-25 - Save the Date

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jderimig

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
nypower15-devo.jpg

Mark your calendars for this year's NYPOWER at beautiful Geneseo, NY. Nothing beats a rocket weekend at NYPOWER, beautiful Fingerlakes Region of NY, comfortable summer weather, mowed grass, WWII Aircraft Museum on site, etc etc etc.

Event website up. Check back often for updates. Tshirt sales will begin soon. These will guarantee to sell-out!

https://www.nypower2010.com

The NYPOWER 15 site shows that there are new rules. They are here:

https://marsclub.org/nypower09/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36

Reading them they state that any flight over 1k feet requires a rail. It does not say if that is for just high power. So does that include low and mid power too?

Anyhoo, I contacted the MARS club for clarification but received no response. Anyone know if the new rail requirement applies to only certian flights (high power) or all flights? I am not looking forward to retrofitting my fleet.

Thanks

Reading them they state that any flight over 1k feet requires a rail. It does not say if that is for just high power. So does that include low and mid power too?

Thanks

Low power A-E will be generally excluded from this rule.

Mid power rockets will be subject to this rule.

Exceptions to the rules may be made based on ground and weather conditions. However you cannot plan on exceptions being made.

This decision to implement rod restrictions was not made lightly. NYPOWER is held on a field that is shared with an aircraft museum. The NYPOWER committee has to take extra precautions to minimize the probability of a rocket overflying or landing near these aircraft. The new rules are an outcome of that mission.

Mid and High power flights off our 1/4" rods have proven to be the most unpredictable in terms of directional control.

As with any launch the RSO has the discretion to ground any flight that he/she deems to pose an elevated hazard to people or property.

Low power A-E will be generally excluded from this rule.

Mid power rockets will be subject to this rule.

Exceptions to the rules may be made based on ground and weather conditions. However you cannot plan on exceptions being made.

This decision to implement rod restrictions was not made lightly. NYPOWER is held on a field that is shared with an aircraft museum. The NYPOWER committee has to take extra precautions to minimize the probability of a rocket overflying or landing near these aircraft. The new rules are an outcome of that mission.

Mid and High power flights off our 1/4" rods have proven to be the most unpredictable in terms of directional control.

As with any launch the RSO has the discretion to ground any flight that he/she deems to pose an elevated hazard to people or property.

I was there last year, and while I flew off of a rail, I lost my rocket due to the "angled away from the crowd" rule. While I understand the significance, I should have grounded my own flight due to the, in my opinion, over cautious rule. My fault, though.

The rocket was a PML Phobos on a Loki I316SK.

Is there going to be a vendor page and if so who do we contact to give the info to?

nypower_logo_small.jpg

Pre-register for NYPOWER 15 in beautiful Geneseo NY.
Preregistration fees are totally refundable if you decide to cancel.

Also you MUST order you NYPOWER 15 t-shirt (with the above logo) by July 4 to reserve your size and color.
tshirt_small.jpg

Join us for a glorious weekend in upstate NY where rockets and historical WWII aircraft share the sky.

NYPOWER Website

ONLY 5 days left to order the famous NYPOWER 15 T-shirt

tshirt_small.jpg

Order info HERE.

Join us for a glorious weekend in upstate NY where rockets and historical WWII aircraft share the sky.

NYPOWER Website

Hey! You never got our signed release forms when we posed for those pictures! :madnote:
Those can't be officially certified if their illegal... :(

(This controversy should make them even more popular.)

Hey! You never got our signed release forms when we posed for those pictures! :madnote:
Those can't be officially certified if their illegal... :(

(This controversy should make them even more popular.)

How about this?
devo_banned.jpg

What criteria will you be using to determine when a rocket needs to be launched from the "away pads"? The last time that I was there (2008) the away pads were for motors larger than K and/or BFR projects.

I am REALLY looking forward to being there this year. NYPOWER is always high on my list for launches to attend. It is even better now since some road improvements on Route 15 through PA have cut about 30 to 40 minutes off the drive. :clap:

What criteria will you be using to determine when a rocket needs to be launched from the "away pads"? The last time that I was there (2008) the away pads were for motors larger than K and/or BFR projects.

The away cells will be used for BFR projects which include complex-K or L and up motors.

Also any other flight that makes the RSO nervous may be banished to the away cells.

Also any other flight that makes the RSO nervous may be banished to the away cells.

So I need to set my tent up and plan for all my flights from the away cells? (I'll probably have the first ever 1/4A away cell flight)

John - did you raise the issue of things like spools, Wokets, cubes and the like needing large rods?

Last edited:
So I need to set my tent up and plan for all my flights from the away cells? (I'll probably have the first ever 1/A away cell flight)

John - did you raise the issue of things like spools, Wokets, cubes and the like needing large rods?

Yes,

Saucers, spools, cubes, traffic cones, outhouses, Sputniks, blow-up dolls and other things some of you like to call 'rockets' whose speed quickly goes to zero after engine burnout are exempt from the rail requirements.

I would like to thank the MARS group for a great launch. We had a great time even if the weather was not the best. I am looking forward to the next NYPOWER.

Thanks to all that stopped by and said hello. It was nice to meet new people.

Back