EVENT NYPower 22 - May 25-27 (Memorial Day Weekend) - Geneseo, NY

Discussion in 'Regional or Local Events' started by EeebeeE, Feb 5, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Feb 5, 2019 #1

EeebeeE

EeebeeE

EeebeeE

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

It's not too early to start planning for NYPower again. Last year we hosted NSL and over 300 fliers showed up. We may not get that many this year but we should still have a strong draw from the Carolinas to Ontario and from Maine to Michigan.

1 square mile of mowed grass field, Farmers' fields will at most have just been planted. Historical WWII aircraft may just happen to fly by. In the last 2 years we have made huge improvements to our launch equipment including new low power pads, a new launch control system, a fabulous hydraulic away cell, new sound system, and many other changes.

This is one of the oldest and largest regional rocketry events in the country. Less than an 8-hour drive from Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Pittsburgh. Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, Boston, Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto.

From Micromax to N motors, you will enjoy our 12,000' AGL waiver.

Hotels available in Geneseo and in the Rochester area. Campgrounds are all over the place, and self-contained RVs are allowed on the field.

More information will be coming soon. Put this on your calendar.

Here's the view of our field from 3,000' last year during NSL 2018. NSL view 4.png

spence likes this.
  2. Apr 15, 2019 #2

EeebeeE

EeebeeE

EeebeeE

The NYPower Web Site is open. Last year's NSL location is home once again to one of the oldest regional rocketry meets in the US. Register online, check out our store, take a look at some of our featured flights. What a great way to spend Memorial Day Weekend. 1 square mile of mowed grass, and all the surrounding fields will have little or no crops. Camping on the field in self-contained RVs is permitted, and the nicest fliers in the hobby will be there. Over 60 pads including a left and right set of HPR pads. Last year over NSL we had 1,200 flights over 3 days and that didn't include the night flights.

https://nypower.org/

3. Apr 15, 2019 #3

EeebeeE

EeebeeE

EeebeeE

We are thinking about a new challenge for this year. The A-G challenge may morph into survival mode. Can you build 1 rocket that remains almost completely unchanged for seven flights apart from using motor adapters, changing recovery, and use of a tracker. First with an A motor ... then a B ... then a C ... all the way to a G? All the while, maintaining a minimum 4:1 thrust ratio and a 1 cal. stability margin.

4. Apr 15, 2019 #4

Dinofaus

Dinofaus

Dinofaus

Camping is allowed on the range, right? I wanted to camp there at NSL but it didn't work out, what a launch that was!

hgreenblatt likes this.
  5. Apr 15, 2019 #5

EeebeeE

EeebeeE

EeebeeE

Camping is permitted for RV's, trailers, and pop-ups that are self-contained. There are no water, sewer, or electrical hookups. Due to state restrictions, tents are not allowed. There should be plenty of room to camp, and the club has a portable fire pit. We had about 7-8 campers at NSL and at most of our club launches we will have 1-3.

6. Apr 15, 2019 #6

markg

markg

markg

Do we need to register for camping? I'm planning on camping with my 26ft Travel Trailer. We'll be late getting in, probably 9pm at the earliest on Friday.

cheers - mark

7. Apr 15, 2019 #7

EeebeeE

EeebeeE

EeebeeE

No need to register, however you really should try to get there before sundown if you can. There are low areas in the field where we park and if it rains they can be real swampy even 3-4 days after the rain. You cannot see them at night. If you can't help it and are going to get there after dark, drive to the museum entrance and follow the worn down road. I should be there as well as a couple others who are camping and we will guide you in.

markg likes this.
  8. Apr 16, 2019 #8

Dinofaus

Dinofaus

Dinofaus

looking forward to this year, what a great bunch of people (Mary and her girls are a hoot) and the field, OMG the field, no trees and no drainage ditches anywhere!

EeebeeE likes this.
  9. Apr 16, 2019 #9

markg

markg

markg

Thanks, I'll try and get there as early as possible. Maybe it's better if we just park it overnight in the parking lot of the museum and move into the field Saturday morning. I'll see what time we get there on Friday, I won't wander out into the field with our trailer before talking to whoever is there.

cheers - mark

10. Apr 17, 2019 at 2:01 AM #10

EeebeeE

EeebeeE

EeebeeE

Ever since the "Rocket Eating Trees" were cut down, we have had terrific visibility. Plus, crops in this part of the country may not have even been planted yet.

And the best part is the occasional flyover by a B-17.

11. Apr 17, 2019 at 2:05 AM #11

EeebeeE

EeebeeE

EeebeeE

Walmart, as I understand it, lets self-contained RV's park in their lot overnight, and there is a Walmart in Geneseo about 5 minutes from the field. If you get there after dark, that might be your better option. But send me a private mail and I will give you my cell phone number. I will be there, set up to camp, and I can guide you in.

12. Apr 17, 2019 at 2:34 AM #12

EeebeeE

EeebeeE

EeebeeE

Time for the Ultimate Challenge. If you think you can build a versatile rocket this is for you. the A-G Challenge. 1 rocket. Seven flights. First flight is on an A, second on a B, third on a C, fourth on a D, Fifth on an E, Sixth on an F, Seventh on a G. Crash, fail to deploy, CATO, Have 2 igniter fails in a launch … You're eliminated. Those who are left with the G flight race to recover and return your rocket to the safety area. If you think you are a worthy builder, you may open up the rules.

Attached Files: