NOV 19'th CMASS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by jcsalem
but their second flights (on an E15 and F21 respectively) came in closer.

F21's are out of production so you should tell them to design around something else.

I was there for a bit just watching. It was the first launch I have been to. Very nice place and set up. Got to see a Mars Lander fly and a real nice Hi power fly. Maybe next time I'll bring something to fly.
Hans

Hey Jim (jcsalem)
Very happy to hear that your Beeline saved the day...again!!!
That is very encouraging for me.
I just got my Ham license, two Beeline transmitters and an Alinco receiver. I'm now waiting on a 5 element Yagi to get my tracking rig up and running.
Question - how do you mount your transmitters?
Any help, descriptions, diagrams, photos would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a bunch!!!

yes the overduece did get missplaced for a while. thanks to Dan Wolman it found it's way home while I was fishing my Richter Rechter out of a tree up at the houses. as far as the acme goese well lets say at first look it appeared to survive however when I got home and realy got a look at it, well lets say it is going to take some serious effort to make it safe for flight again.
the launch was a lot of fun and now we all have to wait for spring to do it again? maybe we shoould find a frozen lake for a mid winter launch.
there certainly was a lot of great flights with not to many mishaps.

Originally posted by Gregzo
Hey Jim (jcsalem)
I just got my Ham license, two Beeline transmitters and an Alinco receiver. I'm now waiting on a 5 element Yagi to get my tracking rig up and running.
Question - how do you mount your transmitters?
Any help, descriptions, diagrams, photos would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a bunch!!!

RE: Installing the Beeline
For now, I've just used a quick and dirty technique to install it: I cut a slot in the bottom of the nose cone and put the transmitter in there. After inserting the transmitter I turned it 90 degrees so it wouldn't fall out. I also used some flexible wire to fasten it to the nose cones attachment point and then tape over the slot "just in case." The Li-Poly battery lasts so long, I just turn it on and let it run all day.

Next time I build an electronics bay, I'll probably make room for it in there. However, I'll be concerned about it interfering with the altimeter.

RE: Antenna
I've had very good success using BeeLine's recommend Yagi which built is from PeteK's 6 element Yagi antenna plans. I also tried a commercial 3-element Yagi from Arrow Antennas, however, that showed almost no directionality. Maybe at a CMASS launch next year, we could compare the performance of your 5 element Yagi to the PeteK one I built.

-- Jim

Thanks Jim for the info.
I have the Arrow 5 element on the way. Yes - It would be good to compare. I'm a little scared now that you say the three element did not work very well for you.....

I was thinking of getting a 8 or 9" piece of 29mm Phenolic and the same length piece of coupler. Glueing the coupler into the 29mm for a double wall length of tubing for protection. Then spinning up a couple of wooden blocks to screw into each end with an eye-bolt in one end. Like you said - the battery lasts so long.... I had mine on for two days on my desk and it was still fine and had fair voltage remaining before it went into auto shutdown. I'll just turn it on in the AM on a flight day and leave it on all day. Then stuff the transmitter wrapped with some foam into the tube. With this arrangement - I can attach it to any shock cord mount point in any rocket. The 29mm assembly will fit in any rocket I would want to track. I do like your idea of the nosecone mount - it just makes portability more difficult.
Thanks for the info.

Back