Nose Cone Update

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasticpaul

Reaction score
A while back I posted directions to make your own cone and I have some new ideas on doing this. I have developed some techniques to make them come out very nice with very little effort. This will work best for small diameter rockets but it does work very well.

I am still using the blue foam stacked so the joints in the block are perpendicular to the length of the nc. One of the big changes is i am using 5 minute epoxy for ther whole thing even as a coating. Another big change is the mandrel. I am using a decent sized nail like a 6 penny or a framing nail. I cut the heads off 6 and cleaned up the points a bit and they are ready to go. I simply epoxy them into the blank and go at it. DO NOT use west system for this step.

I now turn my shoulders just a bit undersized so I can wrap them in typing paper to make them slide into the BT a little smoother.

Here is a really cool thing, when your NC is complete in every way simply put a lighter or micro torch to the nail for a few minutes. This heats the nail and breaks the epoxy bond so you can simply pull out the nail. You are left with a very nice little nc.

Thanks, and yah I made a real basic lathe out of some scrap plywood and I use an old drill for the power source. It is really just a base for the drill and a small strip to lean the rasp against. I can now have a pretty nice cone in 5 minutes or so. The one on my A duration rocket weighs just 1.6 grams (including paint) and it goes in a .875: BT. I have another one for a .75" BT that weighs 1.3 grams. These are finished weight.

Paul can you post a pic of your homemade lathe? Sounds like something I'd like to try. I just bought a balsa block the other day to try to make a BNC-60, but I'd better practice on foam, I think. :D

I sure can the dig camera will be back tomm with my wife. I will try and post pics tomm night. I would use the balsa to practice on....LOL. Seriously, you may never buy balsa again once you start making the foam NC's, they finish up great and allow you to really fine tune your balance.

Back