Nose cone payload hatch advice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAL9000

Reaction score
Hi. I'd like to put a payload inside of a 4" diameter nose cone, but I'm not sure how to create the exterior hatch for accessing the inside of the nose cone. I would like the hatch to be on the visible outside of the cone like a door and not on the bottom where the shock cord is attached. I will cut out a side piece and use that for the hatch door, but I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a hinge system idea or something else so the hatch parts are as low-profile as possible?

It seems another option could be cutting the nose cone in half horizontally so I can insert the payload straight down and then reattached the top part of the cone...but I would still need a hinge for that right if I don't want to use a piece of tape?

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Both BVM Jets and Sonic Tronics make a hidden hinge system. Put it on the LE though just in case it opened up in flight. My self, I would make the hatch with a liner on the inside that went around the inside. This will support the hatch and give you something to screw into. Use small flat head screws, would look just like a full size one.

Outside the box, but a sewn in double tape hinge using duct tape and dental floss would probable work . You would Need to pre drill the needle holes with say 1/16” pilot holes, and may not look purty , but easy , strong, and light. Also dirt cheap

see

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/build-thread-for-whopper-flopper-chopper.28887/#post-257981

Posts 3-5

if it works for balsa, should work for plastic, and can customize to any size.

you should be able to rig something opposite the hinge with some small screws to hold door closed, or if short flight below Mach, just use tape.

Back