North Texas High Power Launches-NAR/Tripoli

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From an anonymous source.....I hear one last launch before the crops take root is on the drawing board...... Stay tuned.....

Man, I hope so. And that I can get an okay from the wife. I've got lots of motors that have had no where to go fulfill their life mission...

Robert's rocket has been recovered ! Marlin and I dug in the mud for about 2 hours and then used the jack and got it out .

Robert's rocket has been recovered ! Marlin and I dug in the mud for about 2 hours and then used the jack and got it out .

My heart skipped a beat thinking that you guys had found mine, but then I thought it through a bit more and realized that you probably meant Robert W. :p

Great! Yeah I'd love to see some photos! I'm really curious how well it stayed together. Still amazed that I found it. I literally almost tripped over it. :D

That does it, you guys are officially the kings of recoveries! First Marlin's creek recovery, and now you go dig out some other guys rocket that post holed in 6 feet! amazing! Almost a week after the event no less. I know how hard that digging must have been, as the 30 minutes we spent only got us about 1 foot down if that. I'm going to join TRA and hope to get the honor of an HOTROC Asa signoff for my level 2.

Any hints on time frame for the next launch before the crops go in? When do they start planting anyway???

Jack

Many thanks to Robert V. and Marlin for their efforts! I'm already thinking about repairs.....

Also, cant forget about Robert H. who initially spotted the rocket while trying to find his own (still have my fingers crossed that it turns up...). We were heading to that general area in the afternoon but there's no way we would have found it. I expected a few feet to be sticking out but that was not the case. Pretty amazing you found it. You've got great eyes man and I guess it runs in the family being that your dad is a pilot! I think you've got a pretty bright future!

That's great news, you guys went above and beyond once again. Pyrobob, I hope it's not too bad and lives to fly another day.

Many thanks to Robert V. and Marlin for their efforts! I'm already thinking about repairs.....

Also, cant forget about Robert H. who initially spotted the rocket while trying to find his own (still have my fingers crossed that it turns up...). We were heading to that general area in the afternoon but there's no way we would have found it. I expected a few feet to be sticking out but that was not the case. Pretty amazing you found it. You've got great eyes man and I guess it runs in the family being that your dad is a pilot! I think you've got a pretty bright future!

Haha thanks... Good eyesight probably didn't help though. As they say, "if it were a snake it would have bit me" :p

I think Jeff said it best, you would literally have to trip on it to find it!

Jacob's J570W:

[video=youtube;-HScMQaJaps]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HScMQaJaps[/video]

Robert H's GtR on a rare Ellis Mountain H50:

[video=youtube;JPJltulHwIg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPJltulHwIg[/video]

That awesome L1000W airstarting a pair of I200W's:

[video=youtube;mHCpCtJ23YA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHCpCtJ23YA[/video]

Jacob's J510W:

[video=youtube;x8BfEPEjKM8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8BfEPEjKM8[/video]

My ill fated first FG rocket on a J415W:

[video=youtube;8za6nKideW8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8za6nKideW8[/video]

Robert H's GtR on a rare Ellis Mountain H50:

[video=youtube;JPJltulHwIg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPJltulHwIg[/video]

Thanks for posting the video! Dang I wish I could have found it.

I hear ya... A policy I adopted many years ago was to automatically upsize the MMT. If a kit came with a 29mm MMT, then I build it with a 38. If it comes with a 38, then it gets a 54, and so on. I'm a bit perplexed why most kit makers don't just put the largest MMT/CR combo so as not to make it MD. There are certain exceptions of course, but a 4" cardboard rocket can easily accomodate 54mm single grain, two grain, and other motors depending on thrust curve. Either way, super long high impulse motors are simply awesome so although I may have a MMT that can accommodate say 54's, doesn't mean I won't choose the biggest damn 38 I can find :) :).

I hear ya... A policy I adopted many years ago was to automatically upsize the MMT. If a kit came with a 29mm MMT, then I build it with a 38. If it comes with a 38, then it gets a 54, and so on. I'm a bit perplexed why most kit makers don't just put the largest MMT/CR combo so as not to make it MD. There are certain exceptions of course, but a 4" cardboard rocket can easily accomodate 54mm single grain, two grain, and other motors depending on thrust curve. Either way, super long high impulse motors are simply awesome so although I may have a MMT that can accommodate say 54's, doesn't mean I won't choose the biggest damn 38 I can find :) :).

Yeah I should've totally done that but when I built those rockets H motors seemed like a huge deal. If you told me I would been flying J motors on those rockets I wouldn't have belived you. And I used the same kit for my L1 cert and I guess it wouldn't have been fun to use a 54 to 38 and a 38 to 29 adapter. Well I'm building a 3 inch FG rocket that I plan on flying K or maybe even L motors in the future.

Last edited:
Definitely. The case is almost 2 feet long! Reminds me of one of those mini baseball bats. It's just too cool.

May 7th Launch Announcement
for the
Apache Pass Launch site

The weather is looking good for this weekend, so plan to come out and join us this Saturday for AARG's May launch at the Apache Pass field. You can find directions to the field on the AARG web site:

https://www.aarg.org/

This launch will be per Tripoli's Research rules, and we will be able to support both NAR and Tripoli certifications. Please let us know in advance if you are planning an M/N flight and/or need the large pad (at the moment, no one has indicated either).

Our range hours for this launch will be 9 AM though 3 PM. Harry (the Motorman) will be be attending the launch this month, so contact Harry for your motor needs. The Apache Pass site is a grass field, so Sparky motors will not be allowed.

Last month, we handed out some rockets, so I hope some will return for flights this month. I think we still have some model rocket kits available and some motors too.

Please keep our new registration procedures in mind. We'll ask for NAR/TRA membership verification during registration. If you don't have a membership and/or card, it's OK, but if you have one, bring it along.

I believe we will have a porta-potty available.

We could always use more hands to help set up and tear down. Usually it takes 30 min to do both.

WAIVER: We are currently allowing flights to 10,000 AGL.

THIS IS A "N" IMPULSE FIELD

Tripoli Houston will be having a launch this Saturday 5-14-16 at the Hearne Municipal Airport field for anyone interested.

Back