North Texas High Power Launches-NAR/Tripoli

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tough choice with DARS and HOTROCs looking at the 29th for HP but I need Marlin's massive pad for Uber Pike to fly on the M I have. Looks like Asa for me if the winds are light.

Yikes, there's a HOTROC's launch on the same day? I didn't see that announcement yet...

Yikes, there's a HOTROC's launch on the same day? I didn't see that announcement yet...

It is tentative now but Marlin is thinking about it. You know how it is with weather and staying ahead of the planting.

I have a 98mm M1419W that gives a ttw of 3.5 in Uber Pike and I want to use the 21' 1515 rail on Marlin's big pad.

It is tentative now but Marlin is thinking about it. You know how it is with weather and staying ahead of the planting.

Marlin likes to "make hay" before his field gets covered in hay (or corn or sorghum or whatever). :) Too much or not enough but choices are good I think.

Tough choice with DARS and HOTROCs looking at the 29th for HP but I need Marlin's massive pad for Uber Pike to fly on the M I have. Looks like Asa for me if the winds are light.

I guess you mean Saturday, Feb 27th, since Feb 29 is a Monday.....

Tough that both are on the same day. I will have to go to DARS, but hate to have to make a choice.

Ultimately, this is a great predicament for Texans. Two accessible high power launch sites and which one to choose? I agree with Jacob in that it would be great if we could schedule one for the week after; while fully understanding that crop planting is imminent. Get it while the gettin's good....

Oh, and I most definitely do not want to miss the Uber Pike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saw your other video post. That was a nice looking Arapahoe! What happened?

The altimeter never detected liftoff, when I got to it it was still beeping out continuity on all channels. That altimeter had a hard landing on its last flight, about 50 fps under drogue. Everything beeped out ok, and I "think" I pressure tested it, but I'm honestly not possitive. This flight would tend to be evidence that I didn't. Mercifully I left the motor charge in, and that got the drogue out.

What altitude did you get out of the Arapaho J and K550W? That was a pretty big grunt it gave at liftoff.

NEVER, EVER, EVER pull a battery out of the pack and assume it is fresh. Get thee to a multi-meter!

I emailed Jim Amos, and he asked if I had tried the diagnostics, so before sending it in I hooked up the altimeter and behold, the barometer was working. So I downloaded the last flight data (why was there new flight data I wondered). Clean flight to 5921 ft (motor was right at 14.5 sec into flight, about 2 sec short of ideal for this flight it seams, not the delays fault, it was well within spec), where the apogee charge attempted to fire and browned out the battery, and reset the whole thing without firing the ejection charge. The baseline voltage on this 9V battery, the "new one" from the box...6.3V according to the altimeter. :facepalm:

Clearly someone in the house is not obeying the mark the partially used batteries with a silver sharpie before returning to the box policy...frankly, it could have been me. I'm looking at this as a very cheap lesson in that the rocket was not damaged, and I will ALWAYS check the batteries from now on.

To summarize RRC3 = Good, Missileworks = Awesome, Rocket = Lucky, Chris = ENTIRELY AT FAULT and lucky.

Last edited:
NEVER, EVER, EVER pull a battery out of the pack and assume it is fresh. Get thee to a multi-meter!

I emailed Jim Amos, and he asked if I had tried the diagnostics, so before sending it in I hooked up the altimeter and behold, the barometer was working. So I downloaded the last flight data (why was there new flight data I wondered). Clean flight to 5921 ft (motor was right at 14.5 sec into flight, about 2 sec short of ideal for this flight it seams, not the delays fault, it was well within spec), where the apogee charge attempted to fire and browned out the battery, and reset the whole thing without firing the ejection charge. The baseline voltage on this 9V battery, the "new one" from the box...6.3V according to the altimeter. :facepalm:

Clearly someone in the house is not obeying the mark the partially used batteries with a silver sharpie before returning to the box policy...frankly, it could have been me. I'm looking at this as a very cheap lesson in that the rocket was not damaged, and I will ALWAYS check the batteries from now on.

To summarize RRC3 = Good, Missileworks = Awesome, Rocket = Lucky, Chris = ENTIRELY AT FAULT and lucky.

What kind of battery diagnostics are we supposed to use? Just measure voltage at the terminal and if it's within a certain percent of rated output then it's good? Yes, I took Circuits I twice in school :facepalm:....

By the way, some really cool products from AT coming down the Pike (pun intended :)). Some of it's pretty open knowledge while some must be held close to the vest :cool:. An N-2200 Metalstorm Dark Matter for the 15360 hardware has been proofed. There's actually some history to this reload but I'll leave it there for the time being. Short story, it should be available almost immediately ;). I think I've about exhausted my emoticon's so I'll leave it here and pick up on another day...

Worst case we could have someone Periscope each launch :horse:.

So does it still look like a Waco vs Corsicana thing going on Feb 27?
That is how it's starting to look. I may opt for the Corsicana field since it is new and I would like to see it. Love Asa but man, those walks through the plowed field are rough on us old guys.

Dang... I kinda need that waiver at Asa... But it would be nice to see the Corsicana site. Plus it's also quite a ways closer.

I'll be at Corsicana I wanna check out the new field. Hopefully the rain in the forecast won't cancel the launches. One of the clubs needs to change their launch a week later.

Last edited:
I'd be concerned about the wind forecast of 15-25mph cancelling both locations.

Can't make it in either case. 😕

David

Edit... Poof. WFAA now says 20-30.

Last edited:
Bad news for the DARs Frisco low and mid power launch on Saturday, Feb 20, though, if that forecast comes to pass.

Yes, and the City of Frisco needs to mow the site before someone pitches a lit cigarette into the tall, dry grass and DARS gets blamed! :rant:

Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm not exactly firing on all cylinders anyhow, with my allergies and my son isn't feeling all that great either. My daughter had pink eye last week also! I've dodged a bunch of bullets but my number may be up health wise. Crossing my fingers that everything works out but we'll see.

It's a plowed field from what I hear. The good and potential bad I guess one could say...

Don't know where the site is exactly in retrospect to corsicana but this probably isn't a good sign...

1456241612033.jpg

Back