NOOB questions from a first timer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The E12-0/E12-8 should about get you to orbit.

https://www.motorcato.org/latest#most
The E motors feature there but that’s only the reported ones. Most people don’t bother reporting it...... For an E you’ve got a 50:50 chance.... I suspect it’s to do with the geometry, drying and cracking, but it’s difficult to know. And of course the paper is cellulose and changes size with moisture. I don’t think anyone will have a definitive answer.
I just miss them out.....
C,G composite,H hybrid.......
The little A‘a can be punchy surprisingly. Never seen one of them CATO.
Dont forget with your cluster that the alignment of your motors should be through your rockets CG.

The E12-0/E12-8 should about get you to orbit.
https://www.motorcato.org/latest#most

I really need to learn Open Rocket. With this combo of (heavy) E engines, I'd really like to see what the stability will be. But I'm pumped to see the altitude on the E-E flight! Do you think that is a good combo for a Boosted Bertha that weighs 145g dry??

For an E you’ve got a 50:50 chance.... I suspect it’s to do with the geometry, drying and cracking, but it’s difficult to know. And of course the paper is cellulose and changes size with moisture.

I'll leave the Es in their packaging until flight day. I'll record the batch #s too.

Thank you

Edit: My Boosted Bertha weighs 145 grams - not 135!

Last edited:
With much thanks to @Mike Haberer , this is the BB w 2 24mm mounts: 4.3 cals! Holy stability Batman!

1624985163481.png

My BB came in at 145 grams painted and w a Qualman baffle, but no engines or parachute. This OR file says 168 grams. Does the file say where all the weights come from? I asked Mike, but I'm not being very patient today! :)

How 'bout 1900+ feet fully loaded w E12 to E12!? Should be fun!

1624986495390.png

You can also use OR (Flight side view) to figure out how far you need to walk to retrieve it (assuming you want it back). Feel free to post your .ork file. At 2000ft, I'm guessing a quarter of a mile. Bring a compass, track the rocket to the horizon, shoot a heading, walk in a straight line, and don't fall off any cliffs.

I was gonna try Thrustcurve but not sure how to indicate 2-stage.

Bring a compass, track the rocket to the horizon, shoot a heading, walk in a straight line, and don't fall off any cliffs.

I was gonna try Thrustcurve but not sure how to indicate 2-stage.

No chance of falling off a cliff on the Salt Flats. But do take water when you go out to retrieve your rocket. During a half mile walk, you’ll want water.

I hesitated buying the JL Cute Release but worked awesome the other day. Should save you a lot of walking. Another option is to use a 4" wide Mylar streamer. You'll need to glue on any broken fins but at least you'll get it back.

You're main issue is finding the booster on the E12-0. The best practice is to post someone about 50m away who's job is to track where the booster goes.

You're main issue is finding the booster on the E12-0. The best practice is to post someone about 50m away who's job is to track where the booster goes.

Finding rockets on the salt is easy. There are no obstructions to block your view. As long as you know the general direction, and it doesn’t go too far, you can generally see them on the salt from the flight line. I’d still have someone watch the booster, but it’s going to come down pretty close to the pad.

I hesitated buying the JL Cute Release but worked awesome the other day. Should save you a lot of walking.

I think the JLCR is a great answer to the diminishing launch fields. This is def in my future!

Finding rockets on the salt is easy. There are no obstructions to block your view.

Yeah, I guess the biggest obstruction is the heat waves! :) When we deer hunt, we too, have to mark a direction to go locate them. Golf balls too, but that's another story! :p

Don’t paint it white

🤣 I kept it pretty stock:

1625005493869.png

I think the JLCR is a great answer to the diminishing launch fields. This is def in my future!

Yeah, I guess the biggest obstruction is the heat waves! :) When we deer hunt, we too, have to mark a direction to go locate them. Golf balls too, but that's another story! :p

🤣 I kept it pretty stock:

View attachment 470793
The JLCR says to attach the lanyard to the chute or shock cord. My concern is that if it lands in a tree, I can get the rocket back and probably the NC but not the chute. I think I need to attach everything to the NC.

Hardly anyone uses the rubber shock cords anymore because they easily melt. What I do is attach a Kevlar cord (250#) to the eyelet on the Qualman baffle and tie a loop sticking out of the tube. I use a fishing swivel to attach to elastic cord. I also use a swivel on the chute but not on the NC. You don't have to use Kevlar to the baffle but if it breaks, then you have to connect a replacement to the eyelet.

Some tie the loop inside the tube to prevent zippering, but I use a heat shrink on the knot. If you're not using a baffle, you can connect the Kevlar to the MM, as long as you remember to connect it before glueing the centering ring on the motor tube.

For wadding, I use Walmart party streamer rolls. It has the best flame retardant. The last thing you want at your kid's birthday party is for the cake candles to light the streamers on fire. I've been getting into Quest composites so I have a collection of their orange wadding.

Some like to use just Kevlar cord instead of rubber or elastic. You have to use a lot (like 8') or add a short elastic to prevent the NC from damaging the rocket (Estes kiss). Kevlar tends to wad up on me so I stick with elastic.

rklapp, I really like your thinking - we think alot alike! Those Qualman baffles are impressive - strong and light weight - my new fav baffles!

Question: Are there any flight cards or any other info I can pre-prep for the LCO table at LDRS? Like, do I have to come up w rocket names on the spot?! 🤣 I do not see any info like that on the UROC website?

Just wondering where the LCO gets their info to announce?

"Here's Huxter flying his Estes V2 on a D12-3 on pad 42 in 3-2-1..."

Or how bout:

"Next up on pad 42, a 'Bonneville Laker, Class of 82' themed Fliskits Deuce's Wild on 2 C6-3s. In 3-2-1..."

20210727_163941.jpg

"Dedicated to one of the greatest Lakers of all time.... Marland Turner!" - Who carried the 2002 Olympic Torch thru Ogden, Utah!

marland.jpg

1. It's most likely that the RSO will only ask you to show your CG/CP on an "out there" kind of design. If you only have kits then most likely you will not be asked. That said, knowing the CG and CP of your rockets doesn't hurt at all.

2. Ranges only rarely at best have split leads that allow hooking up directly to multiple igniters.

To fly a cluster with Estes motors, I usually take some extra wire and attach it to my Estes igniter leads with a twist and some masking tape. This extra wire acts as an extension to allow you to twist the wires from each igniter together so that you can clip to a normal two-lead controller. (To clarify: twist one wire from each igniter together, then twist the other wire from each igniter together.) If you do this, then you don't need to have multiple sets of clips on your ignition system, and all you need is enough juice in your controller to fire all the igniters, which LDRS will definitely have.
What gauge wire do you use? I want to use your idea with some First Fire Micro igniters.
David

Back