Next project...tips...?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phaar

Reaction score
Well well, my "team" and I were thinking of a scale missile to build. Naturally, we went through all the usuals. Patriot, Phoenix, and so on...Anyway, we wanted something challenging. What we decided on is more then challenging. It will take many, MANY hours of work. Not only because we are building a 1/6 scale, but also because we have picked the Nike Hercules, of all missiles, to build. You are probably thinking right now, "these kids are never going to do this." But, we are going to plan and plan and plan and plan and....you got it I think. We ARE going to do this, even if it takes a year. We are very commited and we will see this through.
I was just wondering though...does anyone have any tips? I saw Wedge Oldham's project and it blew me away (that was after we picked this). I think it is quite obvious we will NOT attempt what he has done. This will be 1/6 scale. We have all the measurements planned out. But like I said any tips?? This will be our largest, without a doubt, project yet. Thanks.

I think it would be helpful if you could provide more information about what you are going to use for your project...

What kind of tubing will be used? Paper, phenolic, QT, CF, etc.
What are the dimensions of the rocket? Length, height, projected weight, etc.
What motors do you plan to use with it? And what size MMT(s)?
What will be used for fin material? Ply, G10, etc.
Any plans for electronics?
Have you designed it in RockSim or another simulation program? Do you have a RockSim (or equivalent) file for your design?

I could probably ask quite a few more questions but I think this is good start for now.

HTH,

The guys on the east coast built a version with 4"? booster tubes that was "K" powered I think. Can't tell beacuse the site is undergoing a facelift.

Carl

That was Andy Shecter -- he's flown it a lot, including at LDRS XV. It's on Earl Cagle's video. I believe he did four I211Ws and staged to a J275W. Beautiful flight until the chutes deployed early.

Good luck with your project -- at 1/6 scale, it sounds like you'll have 3" booster tubes staging to a 5.5" tube -- quite the rocket!

Originally posted by phaar
I saw Wedge Oldham's project and it blew me away (that was after we picked this). I think it is quite obvious we will NOT attempt what he has done. This will be 1/6 scale. We have all the measurements planned out. But like I said any tips?? This will be our largest, without a doubt, project yet. Thanks.

Go over to the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville to see and photograph the real thing?

Bill

Back