Newbie to rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim300wsm

Reaction score
Howdy folks

I’m brand new to rockets. We took my son to NASA in Houston and he became fascinated with space and rockets so I bought him a rocket kit and he loved it. So now we are going down the rabbit hole. He loves building anything and it’s a great way for us to spend time together. I’m running out to grab more motors in the morning and going to launch as many times as we can before it gets to hot.

Howdy folks

I’m brand new to rockets. We took my son to NASA in Houston and he became fascinated with space and rockets so I bought him a rocket kit and he loved it. So now we are going down the rabbit hole. He loves building anything and it’s a great way for us to spend time together. I’m running out to grab more motors in the morning and going to launch as many times as we can before it gets to hot.

That's awesome. Welcome to the forum!

Welcome aboard, I got started with my son about a year ago. It can be as easy as Estes kits and fly a lot, or continue to get bigger and more demanding. I have discovered the more you learn, the more there is to know, but it has been a blast!
The folks on TRF are a wealth of knowledge and very helpful.

Welcome, Tim! I build with my (45 year old) son as well! We just got back into it using a launch pad he build about 30 years ago! I build to put on good demonstrations for the grandkids, so nothing real high-flying.

I will second @hcmbanjo's recommendation to visit his building blog - my Mercury-Redstone is much the better for it, and his site is a gold mine of other tips and techniques as well. I will also recommend his Odd'l Rocket kits. Yes, you can fly a real badminton birdie! And a little green man, and a pig, and one that breaks apart into a bunch of tied-together pieces instead of ejecting a parachute; and one that comes back like a maple seed, which is my next build - always something to spark the kids' interest and show them alternate ways to do things.

Happy flying, and keep the pointy end up!

Rocketry is a great family hobby! Glad you found it (and us). Welcome aboard.

Howdy folks

The Estes “Vapor” rocket is a big, nice looking rocket that is easy to build. You can get it at Hobby Lobby for less than $20.

Back