Newb here

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffker

Reaction score
Jeff here from West Dundee Illinois. 43 and am looking to get into mid and high power rocketry. I'm hoping someone here is close and we can meet.id really like to get some certs so I can go h power and higher. Guess that comes all in due time. I'd also really like to start making my own rocket motors, I know that stuff is going up in price along with the shipping make people not want to get into this hobby. Well hope to hear from someone. Other hobbies include crashing rc airplanes and 2 stroke scooters.lik Aprilia sr50 not gopeds. But those are fun 2.

Welcome! Best recommendation I can give for talking shop with someone in person is to find a close-ish NAR or Tripoli section and attend a launch. Should be plenty of people to chat with about rockets, and they generally like to have interested learners.

Not sure how close you are, but it looks like the Fox Valley Rocketeers (foxvalleyrocketeers.org) might be close to you.

If you’re interested in experimental motors, you’ll want to find a Tripoli prefecture that does EX launches. Tripoli Wisconsin (tripoliwisconsin.org) might be your closest source there.

Jeff here from West Dundee Illinois. 43 and am looking to get into mid and high power rocketry. I'm hoping someone here is close and we can meet.id really like to get some certs so I can go h power and higher. Guess that comes all in due time. I'd also really like to start making my own rocket motors, I know that stuff is going up in price along with the shipping make people not want to get into this hobby. Well hope to hear from someone. Other hobbies include crashing rc airplanes and 2 stroke scooters.lik Aprilia sr50 not gopeds. But those are fun 2.
Hi and welcome as for making your own motors you need to be L2 certified and I am not sure if it’s actually cheaper than buying one.

Hi and welcome as for making your own motors you need to be L2 certified and I am not sure if it’s actually cheaper than buying one.
From what I understand, the up-front cost of the equipment and the challenge of getting a reliable mixture conspire to drive up the price of a workable research motors beyond the price of what is available commercially. Economies of scale work against a research rocketeer.

Furthermore, recent changes in the application of DOT regs (“recent” as in like within the last week) mean that many E, F, and G motors can be ordered HAZMAT-free, direct from AeroTech at least. I’m not familiar with the word on other manufacturers and third-party vendors.

As I understand it, most research guys are more interested in it for the learning experience, for making motors that aren’t commercially viable in a given casing diameter (like 13mm Type D motors), or for making monstrous Type P, Type Q, and Type R motors for Class 3 Advanced High-Power projects.

I know there is one by me, ut I don't think they are able 2 launch even mid power rockets since it's close to O'Hare airport. I always miss the launches 2. I'm hopefully going to be able to make it to the next one. I have done lots of research on rocketry, only have done small Estes, I have a midpower one I'm still slowly building. I just hope that the club by me isn't just a bunch of kids. Just for my sake! I hope they all enjoy and become astronauts or rocket scientists.

Back