New to model Rocketry in Las Vegas.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2018-10-29 09.22.27.jpg 2018-10-29 09.22.40.jpg Thank you. I thought we were cool because they have built them from Estes kits. I had absolutely no idea how much more there is available, and the types of rockets people are designing and building themselves! Looks like there's some activity in Las Vegas. I'll bring the kids out to watch the big ones!

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you and the young 'uns are off to a great start. You will find a lot of good folks, good information, and a ton of helpful stuff here.
Also, here is a great blog for you to check out. Anything you would ever want to know about building LPR rockets is covered...
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/

Thanks! I'll tell you what I learned first, was how the engines actually work. I was on Apogee's website and learned about the charge, and delay to deploy the chute. So as you can see in the last part of that first video, the rocket didn't go up very high at all, then deployed the chute right before it hit the ground! Lol

Looks like great time had by all.

One thing to be careful of, and this can happen to all of us. With four people at your launch, one adult handling the camera, one adult helping the two kids manage the ignition system, it seemed like in a couple of launches no one was actually LOOKING at the ROCKET during the final count down.

It is not uncommon for an "event" to happen to the rocket on the pad just before launch (wind blows the rocket over, the screw holding the rod comes loose and the angle flips horizontal, your dog jumps out of the car ).

Rocketry has a lot to teach kids, including opportunities to teach safety. You can even appoint one of the kids to be the "safety officer" who has the authority to call "go/no-go". The "mindset" you can learn from launching rockets SAFELY can carry over into other activities as well.

Hoping you guys get lots more straight trails, laughter, and fun!

Tom

Back