New sugar altitude record

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andre

Reaction score
[video=youtube;c8dovKYULEQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8dovKYULEQ[/video]

Very nice. Well done. Perfectly vertical boost.

:wave::wave::wave:

Bob

SWEET!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Congratulations on a truly spectacular record flight!

This record was set by Phil Vukovich from New zealand. Other than this video and a photo on NZRA website (https://www.nzrocketry.org.nz/index.php?page=workshops-2) I couldn't find any additional information about this flight. Since it only mentions one 125mm motor and that the second stage has unusually small diameter I believe that this is actually a boosted dart, but can't be 100% sure. If I remember correctly there is a few guys from New zealand on this forum. Maybe they can provide some additional information. It's really a shame that a lot of times such cool projects are so poorly documented.

Thanks for this info Chris. Do you maybe know what was the second stage diameter?

That was a nice video...

I'd never seen a rocket land back at the pad and suck back in its smoke before ;)

But Seriously... Congrats on the flight!

Thanks for this info Chris. Do you maybe know what was the second stage diameter?

40mm. 400gram propellant. top speed was 2700kph. I have plans to get more altitude out of it by ignighting the second stage earlier

So the second stage had a retractable fin can ? It looked like I single stage

Phil what kind of electronics did you use for staging and for tracking? Was the 2nd stage motor ignited with a head-end igniter or did you run the wires through the nozzle? How was the recovery setup? Did you have some kind of dual deployment in the second stage or just a single small chute?

yes, have you been there?

Yes, back in March 2013 I was in New Zealand on a holiday where I met up with Evan More and a bunch of the other very friendly club members for one of their monthly launches. We had a very nice visit with a very friendly group of rocketeers. I would recommend that everyone who has the same opportunity not pass it up.

Last edited:
There is a few North American members of the NZRA living in NZ

Back