New motors certified

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Whitmore

Reaction score
We have certified 2 new Aerotech motors: the Enerjet F52C, made from the "Classic" propellant, and the end-burning H13ST long-burn arrangement.

Alan Whitmore
Chair, Tripoli Motor Testing

Attachments

• F52C typical.JPG
    F52C typical.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 237
  • H13ST typical.JPG
    H13ST typical.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 247
That H13 looks bitchin

Coupling in another thread: What's the max pad weight for that baby? Would you allow a 2-pound rocket to fly if you were LCO?

That H13 looks bitchin

Coupling in another thread: What's the max pad weight for that baby? Would you allow a 2-pound rocket to fly if you were LCO?
On the 500 foot pad on a big field, sure. Anything closer...not so much. It would be the slowest land shark ever.

Thank you Alan, for all you've done and are doing for TMT.

Having tested a few hundred motors myself, I know what a PITA it is to set up, calibrate, test, reduce data, break down the setup. On top of that you have to get the data to TRA and to the manufacturers in a timely manner.

Fantastic job!
Terry

That H13 looks bitchin

RSO makes that determination. five to one for less than a sec, than two to one for about 14. I would have to say no.

Last edited:
Thank you Alan, for all you've done and are doing for TMT.

Having tested a few hundred motors myself, I know what a PITA it is to set up, calibrate, test, reduce data, break down the setup. On top of that you have to get the data to TRA and to the manufacturers in a timely manner.

Fantastic job!
Terry
Thank you, Terry for your kind words! The TMT job is actually a perfect pastime for a retired scientist like myself. When you really enjoy doing something, you might work long hours and get exhausted, but it still feels more like "play" than "work".

I have a story of almost unbelievable coincidence to tell about my activities in the first few weeks after taking this job in early 2017. I knew I couldn't test anything larger than a G or a very quiet H (Like the H13 ST) in my back yard, so I started beating the bushes for places to test motors in North Carolina that didn't have close neighbors. For extremely large motors and any "sparkies", a local club member volunteered a huge gravel parking lot and staging area for
a construction company. This place is about 2 hours from my home, so I started asking all my local friends who live out in the county (Orange County, NC, around my home in Carrboro, NC) about places to test motors in the I through K range.

My wife and I are into road biking for exercise, so we asked a friend who was a bicycle racer back in the day, and who now owns and operates an organic farm in the county. It turns out that he, Lu Livermon, was once prefect of Tripoli East NC, back in the 1990's, before I had even heard about high power rocketry. Prior to that moment, neither one of us had any notion that the other had any connection to hobby rockets whatsoever. So now, all intermediate range new motors are tested in a clearing at the southern edge of Lu's farm.

Alan Whitmore
Chair, TMT

I would keep it under 1 pound for a vertical flight rocket. 2 pounds for a glider.

That H13 looks bitchin

Even with a 12 ft rail my 6ft long rocket glider that weighed exactly 32 oz with the H13 loaded on the pad was sluggish, even with 0 wind I think you'd be iffy in a fin stabilized rocket at that weight.

That H13 looks bitchin

Latest posts

Back