The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewwilhelm

Reaction score
Goodmorning yall. My name is Matthew and I'm from salinas California. I'm joining so I can try and show my son the fun of blasting rockets off and see if he's a lover like me. Having a little bit of a hard time trying to find somewhere close to me to do it. But with that said thanks in advance for the advice and tips I'll be receiving.

Hey Matthew, welcome to the forum. Enjoy the little one, they grow up so fast! I, too, am trying to find fields to fly at. Local Rocket groups have monthly launches - check them out. I also use Google maps to look for some land to use.

Good luck!

Goodmorning yall. My name is Matthew and I'm from salinas California. I'm joining so I can try and show my son the fun of blasting rockets off and see if he's a lover like me. Having a little bit of a hard time trying to find somewhere close to me to do it. But with that said thanks in advance for the advice and tips I'll be receiving.
The LUNAR chapter of NAR is doing launches in Hollister now.

http://www.lunar.org/

Hey Matthew, welcome to the forum. Enjoy the little one, they grow up so fast! I, too, am trying to find fields to fly at. Local Rocket groups have monthly launches - check them out. I also use Google maps to look for some land to use.

Good luck!
Thank you Brotherr.and yeah they grow way too fast hahaha. I have two little boys. Some times I just stare at them and trip out lol.

Welcome Matthew and Matthew's son! Definitely get the little man started on rocketry early, and supply all the rockets and motors that you can. It's a great way to stretch his mind, much better than playing video games.

A few tidbits that you may already be familiar with. Blue text is a clickable link.

One of my favorite online stores is Balsa Machining. Bill has a huge selection of body tubes, nose cones, centering rings, balsa fin stock and blocks, etc. for the scratch-builder. His prices for motors are very competitive. And he has one of the lowest-priced mid-power kits available---the 3" 29mm 'School Rocket'. It can even fly on low-end H motors, should you wish to get into high-power rocketry.

AC Supply sells discounted Estes kits and motors. Great service.

JimZ's site has plans/instructions for most kits that Estes, Centuri et al have ever made, as well as "Design of the Month" rocket plans and many others.

OpenRocket is a free and fun program for designing rockets, testing for stability, estimating altitude, scaling up or down, etc. Here is a list of some OR files for both older and current rockets. You can print a list of parts needed, templates for fins, transitions, nose cones, etc.

Take your fella to a club launch if at all possible. I guarantee you'll both be excited, and you'll learn more about practical rocketry than you'd get from all day of reading and watching videos.

Rocketry is a bug that bites deep and rarely lets go. ;) It bit me around 1965..... you have been warned.:)

Best,
Terry

Latest posts

Back