New member with (newbie?) question. Tracking sustainers and boosters.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks for allowing my membership and listening.

I got into rocketry with my son years back. I am NAR level 2. Recently got started again and notice a lot of advancements. My affinity for multi stage rockets has resulted in a number of lost models. I like the Estes Comanche but they tend to disappear on me. I would like to find larger multi-stage that will accept Featherweight trackers in fin sustainers and fin cans. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

I would like to find larger multi-stage that will accept Featherweight trackers in fin sustainers and fin cans. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
I think I get what it is you want, but I don't know what you mean by "fin sustainer" and "fin can". If you mean sustainer and booster, wherein the sustainer tracker could go anywhere and the booster tracker has to go into the booster fin can, since the booster is basically nothing but a fin can, then I get you.

That doesn't sound too hard. Set up a sled that uses length to minimize width and then it shouldn't be a problem to find a rocket with adequate space between the MMT and airframe. (I'm working on a sketch, but I have to get back to doing the work that I get paid for; more later.)
--------------------------
EDIT: OK, it's later. Here's a pretty near scale cross section of a 38 mm MMT inside a 4" tube, with four ¼" TTW fins, and a Featherweight tracker viewed end-on. It looks like making a quadrant of the booster in an AV bay would be pretty easy. That could also be an easy place to put the air start electronics, in the same quadrant or another one. One could even make the MMT and fin subassembly removable from the booster airframe, and then use the fins as your sleds. (Wow, I'm really liking this train of thought.)
1687466019376.png

Last edited:
Back