New Launch Controller Idea

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11bravo

Reaction score
I've decided that I don't really care for the launch controller that I have built and have an idea for a new one, to me anyway; I'm sure that many have built them like this or similar to it many times.
I have absolutely no idea how to wire this thing however. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. :eek:

Here are the criteria that I would like met-

1. A box/ammo can at/on the launch pad with-
a) the battery, likely a motorcycle battery
b) keyed switch for master power
c) local momentary continuity test buzzer
d) external jacks to connect to launch whip
e) external jacks to connect to remote control box
f) unless something goes wrong, launch CANNOT happen from here

2. A remote launch control box with-
a) power key with red led
b) push on/push off continuity tester with green led and buzzer
c) launch button

3. Wires between are 100 feet long and pulled through orange tubular nylon, both for protection and to keep them manageable.

Would this meet any of the safety requirements of either of the national organizations? What else would need to be done to make it meet them?

Can anyone tell me, in really lay, layman’s terms, how to do this?
With REALLY simple diagrams, I’m not so good with schematics, especially their symbols.
What kind of parts will I need?
How big should the wires between the boxes be? Would Cat5 work? Probably not, probably need stranded wires. How many will there need to be? Might be easier to pull 2 or 3 speaker pairs through than 5 or 6 singles.
Will I need relays? I could have separate power at the controller that just sends signals to ‘switches’ in the box at the pad.

Attached is a diagram of what I’m looking for, poorly rendered and not a schematic or in any way technical.

I’ve looked around, but am not finding what I’m looking for which may be just because I can’t make heads or tails of what I’m seeing. :rolleyes:

Thanks much,

Greg

How many pads do you want on this controller?

Dan

One small thing: I have a 100' orange cable with wires pulled through it. Called an extension cord. If it will power a hedge trimmer or miter saw, it ought to handle a launch. If the plugs aren't to your liking, you could cut them off and replace with whatever.

Originally posted by rbeckey
One small thing: I have a 100' orange cable with wires pulled through it. Called an extension cord. If it will power a hedge trimmer or miter saw, it ought to handle a launch. If the plugs aren't to your liking, you could cut them off and replace with whatever.

This is what I use for HPR launches except I have 100 yards wound over 2 cable reels with a connector plug. At the rocket end I have another connector plug (we call them 'Euro' plugs over here - yuk) which has the final igniter clip wires. There is a spare in my launch box - just in case. It carries 12v from a Jetski starter gel-cell and has never let me down (Igniters, motors and rockets have - but never the launch controller :p )

BUT ... I quite like the idea of threading wires through tubular nylon .. it would make a tidy and very visible piece of kit. I might just use it on my shorter LPR setup ...

How much voltage/amps is necessary to fire a Copperhead ignitor? Would one of those 6V lantern batteries work?
Thanks,
Reed

A relay box launcher would probably be your best bet. You can use extension cords to get the length set from you to the box. I'll see if I can dig up some schematics.

Edward

A copperhead needs 12v to fire. Use 2 6v batteries in series and it will probably work.

Dbarrm queried-
How many pads do you want on this controller?
Just one. Maybe with the ability to use three leads for a cluster.

rbeckey pointed out-

One small thing: I have a 100' orange cable with wires pulled through it. Called an extension cord.
Um. Yeah. Um, Sshhhhhh. Don't tell anyone that I missed that.:rolleyes: That would also limit me to 3 wires inside, whereas I may need more. I took a welding class last semester and the TIG machines we used had the torch lead and coolant and gas hoses inside a nylon sleeve and I liked the idea and though of this as an application to use it. :D

edwardw offered-
A relay box launcher would probably be your best bet. ...snip... I'll see if I can dig up some schematics.
Thanks much, Sir. I kind of figured that a relay or two or six would come into play and they are not something with which I am in anyway familiar.

Thanks everybody.

Greg

Originally posted by 11Bravo
I took a welding class last semester and the TIG machines we used had the torch lead and coolant and gas hoses inside a nylon sleeve and I liked the idea and though of this as an application to use it. :D
If you're talking about the sleeve that has snaps along it's length (Miller welder), I don't think those come any longer than 20' but, yes, they do work nice.

The one I used was a Lincoln and it seems like it actually zippered the last 6 inches or so, but didn't study the whole length of it, but that is exactly the source of the idea.
TIG is fun.

Greg

Back