New Guy my der red max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaperSpace293

Reaction score
This is my first rocket i've done since i was a kid 20 years or more.
I loved this rocket when i was a kid and still too when i ordered it. Now i need a launch pad i have a sunward controller and can't wait to launch it.
5-16-10Finnshedbiuld.jpg

two coats of primer, two coats of paint and two coats of pledge future and weights in 1.08 oz that's pretty good not heavy.

It looks like you're getting back in the game in style!

Welcome back to rocketry, and welcome to TRF.:)

Nice Rocket.
Great paint job.
Air Brush?
Please include a flight report and video, pic's or both.

I did the same thing as you-same rocket-same 20 years later.
I dont' know what it is about that rocket....it's just soooo cool!!
Awesome paint by the way. What color is that.

I have since built a 250% upscale Red Max. and used it to certify Level 1.

thanksgiving 2009 111.jpg

Thank you. I used orange krylon. None of the stores had red? I thank it stands out more then the red. It looks like it's yellow in the picture but the lamp was shinning off the rocket bad. It's the first time i use pledge future and boy did it shine then i put turtle wax spray on it and it made it shinner. Now i need a launch pad or just make one LOL. I found a 12v SunWard controller at a yard sale for $4.00 almost new still in the boxs. I lucked out and did not have to buy one for 20 or 30 bucks for a controller. When i found this forum it made me thank of the days when i was in rockets as a kid and hope to meet new friends in the end. I thank of building the blue bird zero next since semroc has most of the parts. I like to find a local club but have not found any thing around here since i live in a small town.

Oh and thank yall for the nice words.

Welcome back. The Der Red Max re-issue was one of the rockets that got me back into the game too. Its just uber cool. I also have a 4" upscale, and recently added the Mini-Max to the family. You can get a Blue Bird Zero (another of my favorites) clone kit from Inflight, sold by Uncle Mike's Rocket Shack.

Welcome back to rocketry and welcome to TRF!

For the life of me it looks like the model is yellow on the near side fading to orange around back! :y: Tell you what, even if it's just a fluke of lighting I'm gonna try that on a rocket now.

Looks real good. Keep us "posted" (Har! I'll be here all week! :eek:)

Thank you. I used orange krylon. None of the stores had red? I thank it stands out more then the red. It looks like it's yellow in the picture but the lamp was shinning off the rocket bad. It's the first time i use pledge future and boy did it shine then i put turtle wax spray on it and it made it shinner. Now i need a launch pad or just make one LOL. I found a 12v SunWard controller at a yard sale for $4.00 almost new still in the boxs. I lucked out and did not have to buy one for 20 or 30 bucks for a controller. When i found this forum it made me thank of the days when i was in rockets as a kid and hope to meet new friends in the end. I thank of building the blue bird zero next since semroc has most of the parts. I like to find a local club but have not found any thing around here since i live in a small town.

Oh and thank yall for the nice words.

Welcome back and nice job on the DRM. I must also offer kudos for the avatar, Fly By Night isn't it? :)

I know it's not exactly local, but there is a club that flies in Needville - about 2 hours away. I think its your closest club unless Corpus has a group I don't know about. PM me if you're interested. ;)

Man you got me. Yup it's fly by night I'm a big RUSH fan since 1975 have every album thay made plus some. The group in Needville is that Challenger 498 Group. I've been so in my work lately I hav'it made my launch pad yet. Will be useing a camera tripod for the pad and orderd some motors Tueday. Next week I'll be ordering the Blue Bird Zero clone from inflight rockets.

Beautiful rocket there Paperspace. I'd like to know how you apply your Future. Do you spray it on or brush it? I was thinking that a foam brush might be better than a bristle one. Thanks!

Used a foam 1" brush Just make you don't put alot on the brush or you will have runs on your rocket. Just work it out if you do. It will dry about in 30min or so. Me i let it seat a day. Then i put on a spray wax on it. If you have finger prints on it just wipe off with a lint free cloth. I findly put it in the sky this weekend i was like a kid. Sorry no pics.

Last edited:
Back