New Altimeter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diyaerospace

Reaction score
Hi,
I am working on an altimeter design to tell altitude and log that data to a micro SD card. To cover the prototyping costs I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in purchasing one? I am still designing the board and if anyone has any suggestions for features that would be appreciated.
I was also wondering if having surface mount components instead of through-hole components matters that much? Because not many components are necessary having through-hole components won't significantly increase the size.

Specifications
Can fit in a 29mm tube,
Tracks altitude and logs to a micro SD card,
Powered by a 9-volt battery

Thanks for your suggestions!

Hi,
I am working on an altimeter design to tell altitude and log that data to a micro SD card. To cover the prototyping costs I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in purchasing one? I am still designing the board and if anyone has any suggestions for features that would be appreciated.
I was also wondering if having surface mount components instead of through-hole components matters that much? Because not many components are necessary having through-hole components won't significantly increase the size.

Specifications
Can fit in a 29mm tube,
Powered by a 9-volt battery

That is quite a heavy altimeter... Is there a price estimate?

Hi,

Specifications
Can fit in a 29mm tube,
Powered
Hello
If you want people to buy it make cheap and simple and then work on more complex models. This is what I did and after 10 years I did between 15 and 20 different boards. Some are through the hole components some are smt. For smt components it is not cheap if you want to do it properly because you will need to buy a reflow oven. Depending if you want to do it for profit or fun. Personally I have chosen to keep rocketry as a hobby.
Consider publishing your code so that you can get help.
I would avoid using SD card as those can get ejected.
Expect to sometime through away some board. It is not always easy to get it right first time.
I have myself reinvested all profits to develop more complex boards. The data logger one took years to get were i wanted. I did giveaway some boards to some friends so that they could help testing. I also did a lot of flights to tests them with powerful sugar motors to keep the flight cost down.
Good luck with your projects.
Boris

Ix-nay on the 9V. In a 29mm tube? Weight is the enemy in small rockets. I would never consider it, even for an HPR rocket. Heavy, big, low current output, basically not rechargeable (yes, you can buy rechargeable 9V's, but the other issues remain). Coin batteries are lightweight but also basically not rechargeable (yes, you can buy rechargeable coin batteries, but they are expensive and you need yet another charger or need to cobble together one). LiPo is the only way to go - very light weight, 300+ charges, will probably outlive the life of the altimeter if you manage the charging profile.

Back