Neighbors Evicted today.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are missing the point. I never said they did not have the right to evict. I never even said it was realistic to expect them not to evict. However, it is a matter of timing. First, the company just bought the complex, so they have not lost any money at all due to lack of rent payment. Second, they could have given the guy a chance to get out of the hospital and find a place so he could move his stuff. Would a couple of weeks or a month really hurt?

The thing is, it would have slowed their construction and they allowed their greed to take precedence over personal suffering. Like I said, capitalism at its finest.
So, what do you think about the fact that the landlord pays taxes, which support various welfare programs, which ostensibly alliviate personal suffering?

My guess? The new owners have zero clue what the circumstances are -- based on what we've told, they bought the complex with the plan of renovating it, which requires everyone be out. So, they've likely done a simple look at the records to determine who they have cause to evict, due to violating the terms of their leases, and served them with notice. That reduces the number of people they then have to work with, in order to get the buildings vacant, so that renovations can begin.

There's the assumption of malice. There's the assumption that the owners have a clue that the gentleman broke his leg. No clue, either way, on those assumptions.

In addition, you have to consider that this family was several months behind on their rent before the gentleman broke his leg.

The only thing we know definitively is that, unless any of us are involved in the ownership of the complex, we don't know all the facts and are espousing opinions with insufficient information.

-Kevin

First, the company just bought the complex, so they have not lost any money at all due to lack of rent payment.

Second, they could have given the guy a chance ...Would a couple of weeks or a month really hurt?

Eviction notice would expire (they do expire in NH, believe it or not). The company would have to start over.

Also, landlord can not evict tenant on its own, so it's also tied to marshal's schedule.

The thing is, it would have slowed their construction and they allowed their greed to take precedence over personal suffering.

You'll be surprised... rent payments were probably not even a factor in management's decision. They are cancelling all leases, and this tenant would hold over the property. They dealt with it while they had legal standing.

I wonder if the tenant pled his case to the judge. He could've delayed the case or gotten an extension, especially when there's health and kids involved. Given the timing, I suspect he chose to ignore the legal process.

-Alex

We have come off kind of unfeeling and tough. I hope your neighbor gets back on his feet and things go better for him soon.

TA

Sure it's bad timing that your neighbor broke his leg... But it's not the management companies or landlords responsibility to take care of him. Further more he wouldn't be in the position he is had he kept up on rent. I just don't care for this "victim" mentality society has today... Your actions have consequences! There comes a point in which people either sink or swim. Sometimes people have to learn from the school of hard knocks before they figure things out..

Am I that lacking of compassion and sympathy no.. I'd offer to help the neighbor move or do what I could to help.

Sure it's bad timing that your neighbor broke his leg... But it's not the management companies or landlords responsibility to take care of him. Further more he wouldn't be in the position he is had he kept up on rent. I just don't care for this "victim" mentality society has today... Your actions have consequences! There comes a point in which people either sink or swim. Sometimes people have to learn from the school of hard knocks before they figure things out..

Am I that lacking of compassion and sympathy no.. I'd offer to help the neighbor move or do what I could to help.

EXACTLY!!! Sums up exactly how I feel...

Fellow at church a couple years or so back lost his job... his wife was epileptic and really wasn't supposed to drive, and they had adopted a little girl a little older than ours at the time, and they were friends... he lost his home and had to move across the state to get a new job, in the oilfield as it turned out. I went over and helped them load everything out, we went over to the rental truck place, and he didn't have the money on him to pay the deposit, and didn't have a credit card, so I put it on mine so he didn't have to waste half a tank of gas and a couple hours running back to our town to the bank and back again to the rental truck place... I helped him get everything loaded into the truck while his wife cleaned... when my wife got off work, she came over and helped as well.

What was REALLY disappointing is that this fellow had been the "youth activities deacon" for many years... the high school age church kids pretty much all showed up at his house on Friday evenings after school, watched TV and played video games and ate and horsed around until the wee hours, crashed on the floor and sofas at his place, spent most of Saturday doing much the same thing, then went home Saturday night late for church the next morning... sometimes to return to his house Sunday afternoon til early evening before going home to get ready for school the next day...

After doing all this stuff for the kids for all these years, NOT A SINGLE DARN ONE OF THEM showed up to lend a hand to this guy... nobody else from church did either, except for one elder and one deacon and the preacher, and they showed up for about an hour or so and then split hastily... I spent the WHOLE DAY over there, and well into the night... we ended up leaving same time as they hit the road for West Texas, about 8:30 or 9pm... so they could be there to move into their new apt. around 8am the next day when the office opened... thankfully he said he already had some help to get them moved into their new place, at the church he'd visited out there when he was interviewing for the job and getting started...

I'm not a completely cold-hearted SOB, but I AM a pragmatist...

Later! OL JR :)

EXACTLY!!! Sums up exactly how I feel...

Fellow at church a couple years or so back lost his job... his wife was epileptic and really wasn't supposed to drive, and they had adopted a little girl a little older than ours at the time, and they were friends... he lost his home and had to move across the state to get a new job, in the oilfield as it turned out. I went over and helped them load everything out, we went over to the rental truck place, and he didn't have the money on him to pay the deposit, and didn't have a credit card, so I put it on mine so he didn't have to waste half a tank of gas and a couple hours running back to our town to the bank and back again to the rental truck place... I helped him get everything loaded into the truck while his wife cleaned... when my wife got off work, she came over and helped as well.

What was REALLY disappointing is that this fellow had been the "youth activities deacon" for many years... the high school age church kids pretty much all showed up at his house on Friday evenings after school, watched TV and played video games and ate and horsed around until the wee hours, crashed on the floor and sofas at his place, spent most of Saturday doing much the same thing, then went home Saturday night late for church the next morning... sometimes to return to his house Sunday afternoon til early evening before going home to get ready for school the next day...

After doing all this stuff for the kids for all these years, NOT A SINGLE DARN ONE OF THEM showed up to lend a hand to this guy... nobody else from church did either, except for one elder and one deacon and the preacher, and they showed up for about an hour or so and then split hastily... I spent the WHOLE DAY over there, and well into the night... we ended up leaving same time as they hit the road for West Texas, about 8:30 or 9pm... so they could be there to move into their new apt. around 8am the next day when the office opened... thankfully he said he already had some help to get them moved into their new place, at the church he'd visited out there when he was interviewing for the job and getting started...

I'm not a completely cold-hearted SOB, but I AM a pragmatist...

Luke, I understand how you feel.
I must disagree with you on one point: "NOT A SINGLE DARN ONE OF THEM showed up to lend a hand to this guy... nobody else from church did either"
He had You! God doesn't send the unwilling. He sends who he knows will get the job done.

Focus on that, Not the negative. You made a difference.

Ebenezer Scrooge didn't have to help Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim either. And I did offer my help and truck, not taken
It's the middle of winter here and there are laws that prohibit landlords from evicting tenants with small children during this time of year. They chose not to fight and get out.

Last edited:
Ebenezer Scrooge didn't have to help Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim either...

When you resort to using fiction as your supporting argument... :wink:

...And I did offer my help and truck, not taken...

But your premise is they needed a place to live. Did you offer to pay their back rent? I suspect not. But you criticize the landlord for essentially not paying theire rent for them. I can imagine your uproar if he had the maintenance guys offer their truck to help get 'em out.

It happens here too. The 4plex my brother was living in for 24 years was baught by a group of pricks and kicked
everyone out so they could redo the place and double the rent. While he was still there the new management installed a new pay washing machine and hooked it up wrong so that there was no ground, got a big tingle when turning it on, the aluminum vent pipe was poorly installed and falling off, when setting it back in place it would arck big blue and orange sparks. We took video of that (moving the pipe with a wood stick) and got some real impressive dramatic shots and put it on youtube, the owners did'nt like that and asked that it be removed, it was, and wish I did't deleat the original footage from my camera so we could repost it again. :neener:

Here in Atlanta, an entire apt complex got evicted with 48 hrs notice - right after they paid rent for the month.

NOT the fault of the landlord (not directly anyway) - then entire complex was condemned for not having heat, by local gov't. So on a week of record warm temps (70ish), these folks had to move out. I think a compassionate government would have helped these people find a place to live.

Screwed up in so many ways...

Here in Atlanta, an entire apt complex got evicted with 48 hrs notice - right after they paid rent for the month.

NOT the fault of the landlord (not directly anyway) - then entire complex was condemned for not having heat, by local gov't. So on a week of record warm temps (70ish), these folks had to move out. I think a compassionate government would have helped these people find a place to live.

That's messed up.

The landlord should have sold the complex to someone who could have made the appropriate repairs and renovations. :surprised:

Oh... wait....

They could have put a stop to the checks, I would have.

Hopefully a few did stop payment on the checks.

And it is completely messed up.

Luke, I understand how you feel.
I must disagree with you on one point: "NOT A SINGLE DARN ONE OF THEM showed up to lend a hand to this guy... nobody else from church did either"
He had You! God doesn't send the unwilling. He sends who he knows will get the job done.

Focus on that, Not the negative. You made a difference.

Well, yeah, but what I was getting at is, WHERE IS THE THANKFULNESS?? Where is the APPRECIATION?? Where is some "reciprocation"?? Ya know??

He enjoyed working with the teens and stuff, organizing activities for them, and all that (which is good-- glad someone does... I can do that sort of thing OCCASSIONALLY but I wouldn't want them all camped out at my house every weekend...) Ya know those kids had to eat them out of house and home... and just hanging out til all hours at someone else's house and crashing in their living room, virtually every weekend, that's gotta wear on you sooner or later... and it SHOULD "mean something" to the kids, since they obviously liked doing it enough to make it their regular routine...

BUT, when they COULD have been there to lend a hand, when they could have taken the opportunity to say "thanks for all you did for us" and "I appreciate that you let us hang out here, eat, joke, play around, play games, watch movies, crash on the couch, whatever, all those years" NOT ONE showed up, AT ALL... I'm not talking about them missing school or work, or something like that... I'm saying NOT ONE came by after school or work or even offered to lend a hand... not one even bothered to come say goodbye for that matter... it was like they couldn't be bothered...

Things like that really show me just how selfish and unappreciative people can be, ESPECIALLY teens and young adults, though there's plenty of older folks that should know better that act the same way.

I help people where I can without the expectation of getting anything back-- if that's why you're doing it (to get something back) then you're doing it for the wrong reason. BUT, it IS nice to show that your kindness was appreciated, that it meant SOMETHING, even if it's only a "thank you" or "I appreciate it, you really helped me".

You lost your house and you're moving away, and NONE of these kids can even be bothered to come by and say "we had some great times-- thanks for being a good friend to us, we'll miss you!" REALLY??

To me that speaks VOLUMES about the character of kids like that...

One of the low-rent apartment buildings here just got hit with eviction notices for all. My wife saw several folks moving out one morning, came back by later that day and the building was empty and had big red "Keep out, unfit for human occupation" signs on all the windows. I can see several more in the area getting the same treatment in the near future.

Back