Need some recovery system advice!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dezzed

Reaction score
My coronavirus project is a scratch build 1/8 scale J-powered Nike Hercules. I was going to use it as a L2 cert but decided to go with something simpler for that! Anyway, I am almost done and I need some advice on the recovery system. This is a single engine model that ejects the nose cone. That leaves me with just a 4" diameter x 12" long recovery system compartment. And the sucker is heavy due to all the nose weight needed and multiple tubes and such. Without recover system or engine the weight is 3190 g (about 7 pounds), then add motor and recovery system and we're at 10+. Nose with weights is 1007 g (2.2 lbs) and rocket itself is 2180 g (4.8 lbs).

I'd like to deploy a drogue at ejection and have the main on a Chute Release. Any suggestions for the optimal/easiest set up to accomplish this? I was looking at kevlar Y harnesses from Rocketman. Or should I go with tubular nylon from the rocket to the NC and then from the NC to the main, with the drogue attached to the NC. This isn't as tidy as a dual deploy.

And then all this laundry has to go into a fairly small space. I'm think about one of those small packing ultralight chutes from Rocketman maybe?

Appreciate any ideas or suggestion you might have.

IMG-9858.jpg

I would absolutely use a drogue on that rocket. The longest part of the flight is the fall from apogee to main deploy. Why would you want it falling uncontrolled that whole time. Use a drogue and control things....

Hello there, please send me a message or call us here at 952-881-6260 and I would love to help you out on this beautiful project! We have many different styles of parachutes to fit your need.
Thanks,
Buddy Michaelson

I would absolutely use a drogue on that rocket. The longest part of the flight is the fall from apogee to main deploy. Why would you want it falling uncontrolled that whole time. Use a drogue and control things....

I agree. Do not drop the drogue. If this is nose-heavy with the large fins you need something to de-stabilize it on decent otherwise you could drive the booster right through your main on deployment, a small drogue will mitigate this.

Back