Need some help with rocket design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kandsrockets

Reaction score
I am new to using Rocksim and was wondering if someone that uses it can look at the design file below and let me know if this thing is going to fly..:D The design is 4 29mm G motors. I have a few flight test with different G motors. Any comments or suggestions would greatly be appriciated.

Thanks
Scott

Okay I was playing around this evening with my design and here is what I have come up with. Comments and advice please. I am looking at using this for my level 1 testing.

Thanks
Scott

Looks nice, though I'd call that weight a bit optimistic. I would stick with a simpler design for L1 however. Single motor, slightly smaller. Fly this thing after you have the L1.

Originally posted by cjl
Looks nice, though I'd call that weight a bit optimistic. I would stick with a simpler design for L1 however. Single motor, slightly smaller. Fly this thing after you have the L1.

Well since everybody says no on the multi motor for level 1 testing how about this one then. It is a single 29mm motor 6' long and 4" dia. Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Scott

Well, again I would argue that that weight is optimistic - my bet is that it would actually end up in the 3-4lb range, if not slightly more, and I would go for a 38mm if you want single motor - 29 is rather limiting in a rocket of that size. Other than that, it should be pretty good.

Originally posted by cjl
Well, again I would argue that that weight is optimistic - my bet is that it would actually end up in the 3-4lb range, if not slightly more, and I would go for a 38mm if you want single motor - 29 is rather limiting in a rocket of that size. Other than that, it should be pretty good.

Thanks cjl, I am figuring it will be closer to 7 pounds being that the tubes will be fiberglassed and the fins will be fiberglassed tip to tip. I will change the motor mount to a 38mm. I had also thought about going to 54mm motor mount then I might be able to use it for level 2 testing in the future.

Hey - I'd be all for a 54 if you think it'll weigh that much. A 29 would struggle to lift something that heavy. 54's are wonderful - go for it :)

If it's glassed, it'd have no trouble taking it.

Thanks cjl. Now I have to put my parts list together and get things ordered so I can get this built for May.

Thanks
Scott

Originally posted by cjl
Hey - I'd be all for a 54 if you think it'll weigh that much. A 29 would struggle to lift something that heavy. 54's are wonderful - go for it :)

I fly a couple of rockets about that heavy on 29mm H and I motors all the time.

The combo is great for a certification flight - you definitely don't have to worry about it going too high.

But .... that doesn't mean the OP shouldn't build the rocket with a larger motor mount. I built my EZI-65 with a 54mm motor mount, but used a 54-39mm adapter in it for my Level 1 certification flight.

-- Roger

I am going to put a 54mm motor mount it and use a adapter to use smaller motor housings. I figure this way when I am ready for level 2 I will mod this rocket to work with the bigger motors.

Again thanks for all the info and help.
Scott

Ordered all the parts today to build my level 1 test rocket. Now I need to get the work bench cleaned off and ready for the new build.

Back