Need Simple Android App for finding GPS Coordinates...what's best?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viperfixr

Born Again Rocketeer
Reaction score
Arrrgggh......I've downloaded 7-8 different apps from Google Play and I have yet to find an app that will simply let me enter GPS coordinates from my Big Red Bee BRB900 and navigate to that location. I found most geocache apps to be a real pain to use--I have not found one that doesn't try to connect to a database or cache website to find things. Some might be capable of manual coordinates, but you have to go through too many gyrations to get there. I just need an app where I can quickly and easily enter coordinates and then get a "walk to" arrow to go there, or similar. Also, our club's launch place is way off the grid, so it would have to work without anything but a GPS signal--no data or cell service. Anyone know of an app like that?

just punch the coordinates into google maps or earth. save the map of the launch site before you leave.

My favorite app for rocket hunting is GPS status:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2

Some tips: First, don't overlook the fact that it has two different views (Status and Radar). You will want to use the later. Also, make sure to select the propper coordinate format in the settings menu so it matches the source of your coordinates (e.g. DD°MM'SS.S" vs. DD.DDDDDD°)). Finally, the compass of smart phones is, in my experience, often not overly accurate. If you move fast enough (somewhere between a fast paced walk and a slow run), GPS Status will also be able to calculate your heading from GPS data with more accurate results.

Reinhard

Back