Google Earth and Eggfinder coordinates on IPhone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zbench

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps this is only news to me, but in the past there was no good solution to marking an Eggfinder’s coordinates on Google Earth and also seeing where you are at the same time.

I recently put together and Eggfinder mini and quite by accident I discovered this is possible.

To do it you need to find the Eggfinder on the Google Earth iPhone app by typing in the coordinates and hitting enter. The app will take you to that spot on the map which you can zoom in on. You then create a project, and then touch the Eggfinder spot on the map and drop a pin. Once dropped, you can even rename it rather than show the coordinates.

Once this is complete, just touch the arrow on the margin that points to the NE to locate you on the map. A blue circle will appear.

At this point you can start walking and your location updates in real time. Before I used GPS tracks for this function but the interface is clunky and hard to use. This you can really do in less than 2 minutes and it’s very intuitive.

When creating the project it will ask if you want to create the project on google drive or a kml file on the device. I picked the kml file, but I don’t know that it matters.

Since the GPS chip on your iPhone does not rely on a cell signal, it should work no matter where you are on the planet as long as you have a view of the sky. Below is a screen grab from the experiment I just described.

IMG_3607.jpeg

Has anyone else used this approach?

What if there's no Internet where you are? Does it still work, but just give you a blank background instead of a map?

What if there's no Internet where you are? Does it still work, but just give you a blank background instead of a map?
You can download maps for offline use:

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838

It works on both the Android and iOS versions.

You can also download maps in the Apple Maps iOS app:

https://9to5mac.com/2023/06/07/ios-17-offline-maps-in-apple-maps/

At first glance it looks like the Apple Maps are more detailed, just based on the amount of data they take up.

Tony

Last edited:
Back