Need Dimensions. Rocketarium AIM-120 AMRAAM

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I have a problem. I'm trying to do a Scratch Build of an AIM-120 AMRAAM, and I got the Specs from the AIM-120 AMRAAM Gallery here.
JAL3 makes a Post about the Rocketarium Kit, which is a 1.6" Kit, same as what I'm using, and states that the Length is like 34 point something inches. Rocketariums Site says 24". That can't be right.:confused:
What Length should my Build be????
I only made it as far as mounting the Rear Fins, and thought it looks too long, but going by some Pics', it looks like the Rocket is supposed to be about 6X the Span of the Rear Fins in Length. I can't do Math, so I scale things by Printing Pictures and cutting them up and comparing sizes of things.
To make my Fin Templates I simply held a small section of BT against my Computer and Zooming a Picture of a Diagram until the Tube was the same, then I traced the Fins by holding a Piece of Paper against the Screen.
Anyhow, now I'm frustrated, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

AMRAAM REAR FINS 002.jpg

Well, I guess it measures out to be about right, but it just does'nt look right for some reason.

given a length of 12' and a diameter of 7" for an Aim 120c, that works out an overall length of 32.91" by 1.6" diameter for a bt60 version. you're welcome :).
Rex

given a length of 12' and a diameter of 7" for an Aim 120c, that works out an overall length of 32.91" by 1.6" diameter for a bt60 version. you're welcome :).
Rex

Thanks Rex.
I'm at 34". I think I'll feel better after I remove that 1.1".
Last night I printed a few Pictures of the Missile, and cut a section of Paper to match the rear Fin Span, than worked it up the Pic' Length to find out how many times the Span fits into the Length.
They varied, but they were on average 6 times the Span in Length.

I have a problem. I'm trying to do a Scratch Build of an AIM-120 AMRAAM, and I got the Specs from the AIM-120 AMRAAM Gallery here.
JAL3 makes a Post about the Rocketarium Kit, which is a 1.6" Kit, same as what I'm using, and states that the Length is like 34 point something inches. Rocketariums Site says 24". That can't be right.:confused:
What Length should my Build be????

I think the length from the Rocketarium website is wrong.
Here's the kit face card from the jonrocket.com website:

front-rocketarium-amraam.jpg

The kit length: 34.17"

I think the length from the Rocketarium website is wrong.
Here's the kit face card from the jonrocket.com website:

View attachment 246465

The kit length: 34.17"

Thanks. I knew there was no way it could only be 24", but when I read that it really threw me for a Loop and made me call everything into question.
I'll shoot them an E-mail to let themn know that the Specs they list are wrong.

E-mail sent.

Last edited:
I think your nose cone is too blunt. I walked by a real AIM120D this morning* and it seems like a finer entry.

*I work at the plant where they are produced.

well if you want to get picky, bt60 is 1.637" so, that would make for a 33.675" model. my bad :).
Rex

well if you want to get picky, bt60 is 1.637" so, that would make for a 33.675" model. my bad :).
Rex

I'm through being Picky about it, but thanks for doing the Math for me.
The part of the Build I'm enjoying the Most is finding all the Pics'.
Thanks for the help.
As it stands now she comes in at exactly 33". Close enough.

122-9-4stormo-typhoon-10000hrs_resized.jpg

Thanks. I knew there was no way it could only be 24", but when I read that it really threw me for a Loop and made me call everything into question.
I'll shoot them an E-mail to let themn know that the Specs they list are wrong.

E-mail sent.

Got an E-mail from Rocketarium this Morning and they said they fixed the Typo.:)

Back