Near MD Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyrocket

Reaction score
I've been doing HPR for about 1.5 years and have built standard kits, but not a lot of scratch building (except for LPR). I have a bunch of scrap materials and have been thinking of a near minimum diameter rocket. Current plan is a 6' rocket, 2.15" diameter body tube with a 38mm MMT. Some of the sims I have developed show that it may touch mach with my largest casing.

So here is my question. Is fiberglassing necessary? I was thinking about glassing the BT (2 wraps of 6oz cloth) and then doing tip to tip glassing on the fins. Since I have not done a lot of fiberglassing, this would be a good rocket to learn on. However, I was also thinking that this might add too much weight. I am also considering using a coupler for the entire length of the rocket (in place of fiberglassing). I still may end up doing tip to tip fiberglassing due to the limited distance for the TTW fin.

Any thoughts or comments? I do not want to completely overbuild the rocket, but I also do not want a shred if I put in a larger motor. Thanks.

Back