NCR SA Archer Launch Area Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dseter

Reaction score
Could someone run a launch simulation for me on my SA 14 Archer from North Coast? I'm trying to determine first, if it will fly on an Aerotech F50-6, and if so, what field size do I need and is it legal to launch in a public area or do I have to wait for an FAA approved launch site.

Specs are: 4 inch diameter, 58 inches long, 2 pounds 10 ounces without motor. Please advise if you need more info to simulate launch, thanks so much.

I've launched mine on a school field a few times that's probably smaller then it should be. I can't comment on field size, nor run a simulation because I have no roc sim file for it, but I would say that a small motor like that would need a 4 second delay, 6 would definitely be on the long side. You might be surprised how much closer to the ground it gets in just two seconds!!

A quick sim in WRASP32 show 325 ft with a 3.5 second time to apogee. You can fly it on the F50T, but the F50T-4 would be a much better choice the the -6. Six seconds would be way too long of delay, the rocket would be at over 75 ft/sec at deployment. A G64W would get about 720 feet with about 5 seconds delay to apogee so it would be best with a G64W-7 with 1/16" drilled out of the delay element to reduce the time by 2 seconds.

As for FAA rules, that rocket falls well into the rules for a Class 1 rocket, which you can launch anywhere. Class 1 is less then 1500g and less then 125g of propellant. You could fly that with an H180W motor and still be a Class 1 that doesn't need a waiver. That would be a much better motor by the way. 1,500 feet and 7.6 seconds delay to apogee.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I actually spent some time with rocksim and came up with similar results. I got about 330 feet at apogee and at about 250 feet for deployment which is a bit scary. I decided against that but thought I might get away with the F50-6 in the NCR Lance Beta, a little lighter and a bit smaller. The motor is really perfect for my upscale 2.5 inch diameter Sentinel, but I'm looking to use it in a smaller field with a rocket I can keep closer to the launch pad. I hate to do it, but I might just have to hold onto it until October, our next scheduled Tripoli launch with big open fields.

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I actually spent some time with rocksim and came up with similar results. I got about 330 feet at apogee and at about 250 feet for deployment which is a bit scary. I decided against that but thought I might get away with the F50-6 in the NCR Lance Beta, a little lighter and a bit smaller. The motor is really perfect for my upscale 2.5 inch diameter Sentinel, but I'm looking to use it in a smaller field with a rocket I can keep closer to the launch pad. I hate to do it, but I might just have to hold onto it until October, our next scheduled Tripoli launch with big open fields.

The F50-6 for the Lance Beta will work perfect. I just flew this combo a little while ago. My Lance Beta was a little heavy at 28oz.

Adrian

The F50-6 for the Lance Beta will work perfect. I just flew this combo a little while ago. My Lance Beta was a little heavy at 28oz.

Adrian

Wow, that's fantastic! Thanks for that news, I'll have to weight mine out to be sure, I know I scrapped the NCR motor mount of course and used 29mm plywood rings, other than that it's fairly stock.

Back