NCR Katana Plans

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wm Reid

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone out there in rocket land have plans of the NCR Katana or Mini Katana by chance?

I’m looking specifically for a scan or drawing of the fins.

Thanks in advance 👍🏼

I went to the Ye Olde Rocket Forum and found the side view of a Mini Katana so that gave me the shape of the fins
The Mini K had a fin span of 9.1 inches with a airframe of 2.6 inches diameter. So if I subtract 2.6 from 9.1 that would give me
the simi span of 2 fins divided by 2 that would give me simi span of 1 fin of 3.25 inches

I did a tracing of the fin shape and went to open rocket and inserted the fin shape on a 2.6 diameter airframe . then inserted 1 fin with a fin span of 3.25 inches
I then scaled up the open rocket from a 2.6 diameter to a 4 inch diameter.

Then I went to a pdf of a NCR catalog and read the 4 inch Katana total length was 67 inches and the 4 inch nosecone was 16 inches long attached to a 12 inch
payload compartment . So 16 + 12 =28 inches 67 inches - 28 inches is 39 inches or the length of the main airframe

link to the YORF
https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?s=d09e47b6123c7b850cdf098954263816&t=18670sample K.jpg

Long story short here are the results

the 4 inch K fin simi span is 5.5 inches

open rocket file + the pdf file of the fin patter for the 4 inch K

Attachments

• 4 inch K.ork
    968 bytes · Views: 1
  • 4 inch k fin.pdf
    1.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I half to move the fins up a tad as the fins are not supposed to be even with the end of the airframe
Then I half to insert the motor mounts, centering rings payload bulkheads and recovery system

Back