NARCON 2009

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first full day of NARCON was a blast, at least in the vendor room :) I didn't have time to attend any of the sessions, but heard good things, so...

There were more folks than I originally expected. There were a lot of late signups and hit around 75 by Friday morning.

I apologize to Troy (AKpilot) but Kathy and I were unable to attend either of the dinner gatherings. Friday night Kathy was wasted (she'd been up since 4 am) and tonight I was wasted after a full day on my feet...

We did have a nice quiet dinner with Carl, Sheryl, and Bruce (SEMROC). It's wonderfull to be able to spend some time with them as we only get to meet up 1-2 times a year...

We had a build session for the Nantucket Sound scheduled but it was bust for a variety of reasons, one of them being that most felt they wouldn't finish the kit in the time alotted (2 hours) and didn't want to have to carry around a half built rocket. Bottom line is, it was too complex a kit to use for a convention style build session (and I should know better :) )

It was great seeing everyone again (too many to name) and a few conversations have resulted in a few new products slated for the NARAM timeframe, so keep watch :D

Now to get some business done and crash for the night... more tomorrow.

jim

All attendees get a "proceedings" CD sent to them, which I assume can be distributed widely.

Some of the sessions have been quite good, with a wide variety of topics.

I'm game. Where's Bob Cox BTW?

He has been pretty much living, breathing, eating at work from the sounds of it. Big project.....

I emailed him the other day asking what has he been up too. He filled me in.... He did ask if I want to get together and send some rockets skyward this weekend.... I had to decline because of commitments but I hope we can soon will be out again flying!! April starts our clubs flying season....

We had a build session for the Nantucket Sound scheduled but it was bust for a variety of reasons, one of them being that most felt they wouldn't finish the kit in the time alotted (2 hours) and didn't want to have to carry around a half built rocket. Bottom line is, it was too complex a kit to use for a convention style build session (and I should know better :) )

Ya shoulda used hot glue for it! :p

-Kevin

Well, everything went well. The sessions were great, the vendors were happy, and lots of people won door prizes,lots and lots of door prizes. We had like an extra 45 door prizes donated when we got there.

And no, I didn't win everything. I gave most of them back.

But the weekend was definitely awesome. We had a great attendance. And a great town meeting.

Thanks to Trip, Al Gloer, and all the rest for a great weekend.

And something else happened, which I'll cover in another post.

Bob

Well, we're recovering here in the hotel and will catch flights home in the morning.

I'll post more in a bit, but it was a good time. Al and CATO did a good job putting it all together and my half-empty suitcase is now full with "stuff".

Time to go eat dinner . . .

NARCON 2009 is now one for the ages.

I have experienced every emotion there is in the process from blind panic to elation.

I would surely miss someone were I to try and list everyone who helped in some way or another, so the best I can do is offer my profound and heartfelt thanks to everyone. People keep telling me this was my baby. Yes, it was my idea, however it was an event that was of, by, and for the entire rocketry community.

Bravo All!

Al Gloer
No Longer the Event Director
NARCON 2009

All attendees get a "proceedings" CD sent to them, which I assume can be distributed widely.

Such a CD could be a good money-maker for NAR, after the fact. There are many of us who cannot carve out that much time, or cannot afford airline tickets and motels. A recap CD for maybe $10 or $20 would allow the rest of us to "attend" many of the NARCON activities and should be a good fundraiser for the local section and NAR HQ.

I mean, if the thing has already been compiled and edited, how hard would it be to burn a few dozen more copies?

For those of you who were there, I was the big guy running the registration desk.

I want to thank my wonderful assistants Brianna and Rick, and of course Karen, the Patron Saint of CATO. They helped me keep the mass chaos at least semi organized. I was in massive amounts of pain with my back starting Friday morning, and still continuing until now, and I don't think I would have pulled it off without them.

What overwhelmed us was the sheer massive amount of door prizes. We went from 25-30 to 75-80 in a few hours. Just getting them all recorded as a job. I had no idea what we had when I got there. Didn't even know I was going to be doing the drawings. Would have been a lot more organized if I did. But I hope everyone was happy with their door prizes. I think the best was when we gave away an original Estes Honest John to one of the kids in the club. Was funny watching Dad's eyes bulge out of his head when he saw it. :)

All in all, a great weekend, with some celebrating mixed in. Its not over, but we did do some celebrating.

Bob

Best Line of the weekend...

"You all heard we won a lawsuit, right?"
*Thunderous applause*

- Trip at the town meeting

Last edited:
NARCON 2009 was a wonderful event. Al Gloer, his wife (the Saint), and the CATO crew deserve a round of applause for a job well done.

This was the first NARCON I've attended and it was great to meet face-to-face for the first time many of the folks that I have had discussions with via TRF or e-mails on other rocketry topics including fellow TRF admins/mods Troy and Nick (AKPilot and Ranger Stl), and our West Coast S&T crew John Lyngdal and George Rachor and NAR VP Ted Cochran.

I was rather busy with my Sugar Shot to Space presentation, supporting the NAR S&T presentation and co-chairing the NEMROC planning session, so I unfortunately didn't get to meet as many of the attendees that I had hoped to, but I did enjoy having the opportunity meet a lot of the CATO folks, the vendors, Gary Rosenfield of AT, Robert Alway, a great competitive rocketeer and a very generous benefactor of the NAR youth rocketry education programs, the CSXT GoFast Avionics crew, Doc Dameräu, and a whole bunch of other folks.

If you can get to a national or regional rocketry convention, go! You actually get back far more than the price of admission in door prizes, information and friendships. It's great to meet the folks you talk to on the forum and find out what they're doing in far more detail than you can do with e-mails.

I had a great time.

Bob

I also had a great time. I saw some excellent presentations and did my part to help the economy by visiting the vendors.

Al did an excellent job and he didn't look half as stressed out as he claimed to be.

Well, I typed this up this morning before leaving the hotel but, the connection timed out . . . so hear I go again with my experience.

RangerStL and I flew in around Friday at lunchtime. So we caught a bite to eat and then headed to the New England Air Museum adjacent to the airport, on Al's suggestions. Man, what a great Museum! The had a little smattering of everything, from balloons, to commercial, to WWII (F4U, B-25, etc.), to F-105, 100, civil, and my favorite the restored B-29. First time I've ever seen one of those puppies and it was fantastic!

Around 4:00pm on Friday we headed over to Wethersfield HS and helped Al and crew bring in some tables; along with helping Bill from BMS with his stuff.

After that we headed to the restaurant for dinner, but found out that a lot of people got held up. So it ended up being us two and SCEAUX. We had a good time nonetheless and by the end people in the restaurant were singing folks songs about us, dancing on the tables, and we even had a drink named after us (in addition to the folk songs of course).

While we were leaving Gary Rosenfield (AT) showed up so RangerStL and I went back in and had dessert while Gary ate. Had a good conversation about a variety of rocketry related topics.

The next morning we showed up at 8:45am to see everyone set up: Semroc, Fliskits, Hot Rod Lincoln, NARTS, BMS, bmiCAD, standardrockets, Heavenly Hobbies, CATO Chutes, Pyramid Rockets, and Rocket Girl Jewlrey.

At 9:00am started the conventioned with Al welcoming everyone and the vendors forum. You're going to have to check out all of their web sites because there were quite a few, great, new releases.

I gave my presentation for two hours. I gave a few door-prizes to those attending my seminars, but the funniest thing happend. Totally random, for both hours, two boys pulled their own families names. Even I thought I had rigged the prizes but, was glad to see the boys take something home.

On return from lunch it was time to pick up some products. Yippie!

I picked up my Nantucket Sound from Jim and Kathy. I am not into odd-rocs, and only have one other, the Corn-roc, but this Nantucket Sound is awesome. If you haven't checked out Jim's site, pick up the kit and download the blue/white spiral wrap. It's a beauty!!! So much so, even those of who are completely landlocked should have a lighthouse in their collection. Also managed to pick up another Frick-n-Frack (wore out my first one) and an Avalear. I think Jim's being quite modest because rumour has it it sold out completely of his Nanites very quick!

Oh, I forgot to mention, the one thing I love about NSL and NARCON's is of the new "catalogs" that come out from vendors such as Semroc and Fliskits. I carefully roll this up, tuck them away, beat off flight attendants from taking my bags away, and come home and post them up on my magnetic boards for the next year.

Next was Semroc. It's always great to see Carl, Sheryl, and Bruce. It's like seeing relatives you haven't seen in months. I picked up my Launch rocket from them and also managed to pick up a Magnum Hornet, a Hydra-One, and a Hawk glider (on top of their catalog). Outstanding!!!

Pyramid Rocketry announced that he was going out of business, as his son (the creator) has grown up and moved on. So he had a self-imposed "fire sale" of his pyramids. I ended up picking up his 29mm one for a steal of a price!

I visited Heavenly Hobbies and met Jose and his wife. He introducted his Washigei Camera Rocket. Man that's a neat and practical kit. I was debating about the price for an all inclusive kit, but in the end realized I couldn't get it home on the plane anyhow.

At NARTS the whole line of NAR products were there, including Peters Always book Rocket of the Worlds!

From BMS, I was able to snag an Astron Invader - that I missed on Bill's first go around.

Lyle from StandardRockets has come up with a sheet-metal fin-jig that is both reasonably priced and well though out. He sold out of all that he brought, and even made the comment that he must be on a good thing because Trip Barber even bought one.

Saturday night saw us a a mexican restaurant called Puerto Vallarta, where we had over 20 people in two groups. Dinner went so well, that Trip had to delay the start of the Town Meeting that night. I had something for the first time ever, called Mole (mo-lea). At first I thought mole would taste like chicken but, it was a spicy-chocolate sauce that was pretty darn good.

The Town Meeting that night started off with Trip talking about the recent court decision. If I took anything away from that meeting, and the plethora of questons that followed, was the fact that NAR needs volunteers to help fill out the committees.

Sunday saw a smaller crowd. After I gave my last session it was time to say goodbye to all the friends both known and newly made. It was great to meet our own TRFers there and took their constructive thoughts to heart.

RangerStl and I filled out the rest of the day by visiting New England's largest hobby shop there in Manchester and MAN WAS IT HUGE!!! Even that store managed to stock, Sunward, Fliskits, Custom, AT, Estes, Quest, etc. The only suggestion I'd have in the future is for each event (regardless of where it's held) to contact the local hobby stores to let them know we're in the area. While RangerStL and I were there, we saw four different families pick up and look at rocketry stuff. None of those families were at NARCON, so lesson learned.

We finished off the evening by eating some fantastic sushi and then caught our plane home this afternoon.

All-in-all an absolutely fantastic experience!!!

Thanks again to Al, his wife Karen, and the rest of the CATO staff!!!!!!

If I was a betting man, I'd lay odds that we'll be back in New England next year but, that's just me looking in my crystal ball.

Oh, I did leave two products out that I saw . . . both being Saturn's.

Fliskit had his Micro Saturn 1B under glass (no joke).

And, Semroc had a Saturn V all packaged up looking pretty. Release date to be announced.

I had a great time, too. Thanks to all the organizers for their hard work, NARCON09 was worth going to. What I like the most is you get to do what you can't easily do at a launch when everyone is busy prepping, flying and recovering and that is comfortably talk about rockets to a lot of people enough to feel you know them. And you learn a lot of cool stuff. It's a great experience and any rocketeer within driving distance of such an event ought to attend. As much as NAR is about rockets, it's also about rocket people.

The next morning we showed up at 8:45am to see everyone set up: Semroc, Fliskits, Hot Rod Lincoln, NARTS, BMS, bmiCAD, standardrockets, Heavenly Hobbies, CATO Chutes, Pyramid Rockets, and Rocket Girl Jewlrey.

tap-tap-tap, uhm, is thing on?

tap-tap-tap, uhm, is thing on?

Sorry, I was afraid I was going to do that. Please accept my apologies, EMRR was there as well. It was great to see Nick with his son.

Again, please accept my apologies, I was taught once to never mention names in an open venue so as not to leave someone out, and I did just that. Sorry.

And while I'm apologizing, let me also extend one to Thrustline. John showed up Sunday morning with all of his kits for sale at 75% off - including the Arapahoe.

Just kidding!

John showed up on Sunday morning, but didn't bring any kits. It was great to finally meet him.

Robert Hilton had received a set of proto parts to build and provide feedback on the Nantucket Sound and he did a beautiful job building and finishing it.

Incredibly so, he gave me the model as a display piece :)

Here it is in all her glory

DSC02456.JPG

DSC02455crop.jpg

I had a good time at NARCON 2009 also. This was the first national event that I have attended.

I live about 1-1/4 hours away so I drove down and back both days. Remind me not to do that again! I got home late on Saturday and got up early on Sunday and it took 2 cups of coffee for the drive each way.

I saw some good presentations, got a free Nantucket Sound, spent a little cash at the vendors and even won a raffle prize.

I'd say with the cost of the registration that I just about broke even.

National event. 2 pictures posted. Pitiful.:rolleyes:

True, so here are some more. Mind you I was confined to the vendor room with the exception of when I attended the NEMROC planning meeting, so... :)

Here are some pix:
  • Kathy and I with the Nantucket Sound
  • FlisKits booth
  • SEMROC booth (That's Carl, center left, in the white shirt)
  • NARTS
  • BMIcad and Hot Rod Rocket Shop

DSC02459.JPG

DSC02462.JPG

DSC02463.JPG

DSC02464.JPG

Attachments

• DSC02456.JPG
    DSC02456.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 0
A few more :)

• Rocket Girl Jewlery with Pyramid Rocketry
  • Balsa Machining Service
  • Gary - AeroTech
  • Very kewl paper/cardboard Saturn V
  • Close up of the sign below the Saturn V (3.2 POUNDS! - A "Model Rocket"!)

DSC02465.JPG

DSC02468.JPG

DSC02469.JPG

DSC02470.JPG

DSC02471.JPG

Confined to the vendor room and you didn't get MY ugly mug? I'm insulted...

*snickers*

:D

Ya know, there were a few I didn't get cuz every time I looked for you, you weren't around and every time you were around we were chatting and I forgot all about the camera... LOL

Story of my life... :)

Just a week ago I was boarding a flight from Chicago to Minneapolis returning from NARCON when this nice lady next to me shared the flu she had. :(

I have to say thanks to everyone who was involved in any fashion with this NARCON.

Lyle Merdan
standardrockets.com

Back