• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

NARAM 58

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No bids from sections were received so the board created a committee to act as the hosts.

The statement that it's in serious danger of not happening is not really true.

kj

Thanks for the news, Ted. :cool:

"I'm pleased to announce that NARAM-58 will be held in Walnut Grove, MO July 23-29, 2016. John Buckley will be CD; Dan Welling will be Sport Range RCO."

Word on the street was it may be there, but until today it wasn't official. My brother lives about 70 miles away so I can see him and play with rockets all at the same time. I plan on beeing there for the sport range weekend with my rocket wagon full of goodies 1/2A up to M and a bunch of kits.

NARAM-58 competition events have been posted:

PMC Plastic Model Conversion

E SCA (altimeter) E Scale Altitude with Altimeter.

G SD G Streamer Duration.

D RG MR (per Rule 9.12 we are prohibiting use of Radio Control in the event , i.e. free flight only), D rocket glide multi round duration

C PD MR C parachute duration multi round

A HD A helicopter duration

½ A SRA (altimeter). 1/2A super roc altitude with altimeter.

OSL Open Spot Landing

R&D research and development

It's a large launching site. :wink:

I'm going to subscribe this thread as I'm seriously considering attending this event.

Edit: Not going to happen. NSL 2016 instead.

Last edited:
I am currently planning on going up to NARAM for the sport launch weekend....not a terrible drive from DFW and I might pick up a buddy in Little Rock (optional longer route) and bring him as well.

Any idea about the waiver altitude for HP?

Last edited:
I believe somewhere around 12,000... But I'll defer to the pros. A few weeks ago, a group of us flew in Walnut Grove to get a feel for the launch site (some of us came down from St. Louis for the day). Not a bad field.

Flew to 11,700 ft and had a nice recovery ~1/2 mile from the pad. Missed a tree by two feet... Tracker was useful, but if I put a little more effort in, I would've found it without the tracker.

The proposed rules for the sport range say 12,500 AGL - but that's not on the official website yet, so it's not carved in stone. The actual waiver altitude is a tiny bit higher than that, but I think they want a little cushion.

Well, who's going to NARAM?

I'll be there so long as I don't have to work that weekend for shutdown.... We'll se how that goes. Luckily, NARAM is the second weekend of shutdown so if I finish my projects on time/early, I should be there. Looking forward to it.

-Mike

The NARAM-58 hotel information has been announced:

Lamplighter Inn North

2820 North Glenstone Ave.

Springfield MO 65803

Phone 417-869-3900

When you make your reservation mention the code: NARAM to get the rate.

Hotel rate $79

You must be a NAR member to compete. Here's the direct quote from the rulebook: "All contestants entering model rockets and competing in NAR sanctioned competition shall be members of the NAR in good standing." [Section 8.1]

So I am considering G Streamer Duration. Will there be G SD events on the sport flying weekend? Or is contest flying only during the week?

I'm pretty stoked for the launch. I've got a few goodies lined up.

So I am considering G Streamer Duration. Will there be G SD events on the sport flying weekend? Or is contest flying only during the week?

I'm pretty stoked for the launch. I've got a few goodies lined up.

Contest events are only during the week at NARAM. There are often "fun events" on the weekend that don't go towards official NAR competition points.

Sorry, I am new to the scene. What is the nature of the event, could I walk up and find someone to witness for your level 2 cert or is it specifically for competition, R&D? I am assuming you can just show up and fly but I don't see a schedule just categories of activities. I read the waiver is 15K MSL... the location is ~1,209' above sea level. Practically speaking, when I am simulating for scratching the ceiling (the launch site looks amazing! pray weather gods) in open rocket what does that mean to me am I shooting for 15000 or 12991?

Thanks

As I hear it, shoot for < 12k. NARAM also has a sport flying range, so you can expect the opportunity to fly rockets for fun. I plan on attending the sport launch and getting some flights in the air.

There will be a number of NAR members that can assist with certification. If you're already Level 1, have you taken the test? If not, you could always request a sealed copy, to be opened in the presence of your L2 test proctor. If you're not, you'll need to certify L1 first before moving onto L2.

I will be at NARAM and can sign off if needed during the sport weekend. I'm sure there will be some L2 tests floating around the range, but I'll see if I can request a copy or two to have on hand.

I'm looking forward to NARAM. Get some birds in the air and have a good time with friends. Though if the weather looks to be grim, I may consider alternative plans... We'll see.
-Mike

Last edited:
Here's a weird thought. I probably should know the answer, but I don't. My sons have been coming with me to NARAM for years but this is the first year that my son will be over 18. Does he need to be a NAR member to fly on the Sport range?

Here's a weird thought. I probably should know the answer, but I don't. My sons have been coming with me to NARAM for years but this is the first year that my son will be over 18. Does he need to be a NAR member to fly on the Sport range?

Nope. Just needs to pay whatever sport flying fees will be.

kj

Soooo NARAM is around the corner.

Who's attending?

I'll have a 7.5" WAC Corporal that I'll be flying on a M1315.

Hopefully I'll also have a 4" Dia upscale of the Estes USS Scorpius that'll fly on an I284...

My 4" rocket may go up on a 3 grain L and tickle the waiver.

Back