NAR Level 2 Certification. Rocket recommendations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing to check: ejection charge. The bigger the diameter, the more volume the ejection charge has to pressurize. Might need more than the standard amount of black powder eject charge that comes with the engine.
This can't be overstated. I've lost count of the number of lawndarts I've seen due to flying stock ejection charge in a 4" or larger airframe, and I've only been attending high power launches for a little under three years.
Fly what you like to fly. A cert flight is nothing more than any other flight, but it gets witnessed. If you post styles of rockets you like, you'll probably get some good, honest suggestions.
This also can't be overstated. Fly what you want to fly on the fields where you'll be flying it. If instead you build a cert-specific rocket that you won't actually enjoy flying, just to get the cert, you'll be wasting your time and money.(People who like 'em low and slow are the lucky ones here. :) )

Like others have said, the satisfaction of a scratch build is nice too, but whether kit or scratch, build something you'll want to keep on flying.
I used to call the Jol;ly Logic Chute Release the "Poor Man's Dual Deployment, until I bought one.
DD can often be cheaper, but JLCR sure is easy to add to a rocket.

I remember the Top Secret! A very cool design. Would love to see photos of the upscaled version!
This is the only remaining pic of this rocket that I have convenient access to. Every other picture of that vintage is on a bunch of CDs in my attic.

Father’s Day 2017 I went to a launch in Pasco WA and gave away all my rocket collection to fathers and sons at that event. Some guy from Seattle took the up-scale Top Secret home that day.

IMG_5720.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m at the point where I’m ready to do my L2 cert launch. I opted to build the 3” Punisher. It’s an all fiberglass kit, head end dual deploy, and can (from what I’ve been told) handle anything you can fit in it.

I’m in the DFW area as well, Forney to be exact… you are welcome to come take a look at it.
Are you a DARS member?

Unfortunately, no. Gunter has grown difficult for me to attend as our Saturdays are packed with our kids' soccer games. :(

Back