NAR Level 2 Certification. Rocket recommendations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something that you will be happy and comfortable flying on L2 motors often at YOUR field.

That said, 54mm motormount and 4 inch diameter with fins that make you happy.

Build it light and strong, fly it often and it will teach you most everything you need to know, as well as give you confidence to know how to fly a field at the L2 level.

I'm looking for a rocket to build for my L2 cert. Any favorites or recommendations would be appreciated.
There are a gah-zillion kits out there. Gonna need more data than that to make a recommendation. Like, budget, altitude, dual deploy or not, etc....

I recently certified on a LOC Warlock flying on an AT J275. The beauty of that combination is it stayed in sight the entire flight and stayed on the field. A few months prior, I attempted L2 on a PML Tethys (4 inch dia.) flying on an AT J275 and it went out of sight and was never recovered. If you fly a 4 inch rocket for L2, I recommend a Jolly Logic Chute Release. One of these would have saved me a rocket and a reloadable motor.

My recommendation would be any 4" or larger diameter rocket with 3 or 4 fins that do not extend below the aft end of the booster tube. That way you take less of a risk of breaking a fin during landing. Build it big, heavy and simple for your certification flight. After that, go crazy :) I did my Lvl 2 certification back in 2000 on a 6" diameter 9' tall RDS Northstar. It was set up for dual deploy, but for my certification flight I just did a simple apogee deployment with a Missileworks altimeter since it wasn't going to go very high on a J350. Then my next flight was on a K550 with dual deploy.background.JPG

I took the "keep it low and slow" advice--LOC MegaMagg--and used motor eject plus several construction tips from John Coker: https://www.jcrocket.com/

I also somewhat oversized the chute, figuring better a longer walk than breaking something on dry lake bed. Also made a nice basis for adding an ebay and an Eggfinder in the RNWS, plus the MMAS let me spend more money on L motors...

Anything 5.5" by LOC is probably a safe bet. IRIS, Goblin, Wolverine, IROC, etc...

Most of the LOC/Apogee 4" are perfectly capable as well. Goblin, IRIS, BBX, etc....

I regularly fly 3" fiberglass stuff on J's in our small field (DD), so it can be done, but you'll have to be careful about the day, unless you like hunting for rockets in the woods. I'd choose a 4" minimum FG kit if I were doing fiberglass for L2.

If you have a very large recovery area, it probably doesn't matter too much.

I recently certified on a LOC Warlock flying on an AT J275. The beauty of that combination is it stayed in sight the entire flight and stayed on the field. A few months prior, I attempted L2 on a PML Tethys (4 inch dia.) flying on an AT J275 and it went out of sight and was never recovered. If you fly a 4 inch rocket for L2, I recommend a Jolly Logic Chute Release. One of these would have saved me a rocket and a reloadable motor.
TY

My recommendation would be any 4" or larger diameter rocket with 3 or 4 fins that do not extend below the aft end of the booster tube. That way you take less of a risk of breaking a fin during landing. Build it big, heavy and simple for your certification flight. After that, go crazy :) I did my Lvl 2 certification back in 2000 on a 6" diameter 9' tall RDS Northstar. It was set up for dual deploy, but for my certification flight I just did a simple apogee deployment with a Missileworks altimeter since it wasn't going to go very high on a J350. Then my next flight was on a K550 with dual deploy.View attachment 633916
Beautiful Rocket!

I took the "keep it low and slow" advice--LOC MegaMagg--and used motor eject plus several construction tips from John Coker: https://www.jcrocket.com/

I also somewhat oversized the chute, figuring better a longer walk than breaking something on dry lake bed. Also made a nice basis for adding an ebay and an Eggfinder in the RNWS, plus the MMAS let me spend more money on L motors...
Agreed!

Something that you will be happy and comfortable flying on L2 motors often at YOUR field.

That said, 54mm motormount and 4 inch diameter with fins that make you happy.
I think that should be a huge consideration, the flying conditions at your field! Unless this rocket is going to be a cert flight only rocket, consider the motors you'll want to fly in the future and how those will do at your field.

Like @Banzai88, I would also recommend a 4" diameter 54mm MMT, DD and weighing in at about 9 - 10 lbs. You'll be able to fly on large I motors on those days when you want to keep it low. Large K - small L will push 8K - 10K. The DD will keep the walking to a reasonable amount and should should have plenty of room in the nose cone for a GPS tracker.

BTW, If you can't find a kit you like, you can always scratch build one.

you’re…welcome?

Am I missing something?
Not at all, after seeing yours and a few other replies, I decided to keep it simple. 4" tube, 38mm motor, 36" chute and a chute release. Probably the Mad Cow 4" Patriot. Just wanted to say thank you for your reply. I've only read through the Level 2 requirements once. I don't recall, is there a minimum altitude required?

Not at all, after seeing yours and a few other replies, I decided to keep it simple. 4" tube, 38mm motor, 36" chute and a chute release. Probably the Mad Cow 4" Patriot. Just wanted to say thank you for your reply. I've only read through the Level 2 requirements once. I don't recall, is there a minimum altitude required?

No, just a safe landing

I humbly suggest that the best rocket for your level 2 is the one you like the best

after all:

you have to buy it
you have to build it
you have to fly it
you have to chase after it

all in order to be certified

then you might want to fly it again.

I'm not going to do any of those things for you, so in my eyes, fly what you like the best!

LOC Warlock for my L2 three weeks ago! It only went to 1900' but I walked almost 2 miles round trip to retrieve. I have a JLCR but hadn't used it before,... decided be safe and do normal engine eject. I needed the exercise anyway.

One thing to check: ejection charge. The bigger the diameter, the more volume the ejection charge has to pressurize. Might need more than the standard amount of black powder eject charge that comes with the engine. The folks on this other thread (LOC Warlock - Any worries about Engine Eject not pressurizing 8" dia tube?) were extremely helpful in sizing the charge and the "logistics" of fitting the extra black powder into the eject well.

1709734953795.png

I have used a JLCR a few times now, and they actually work! Keeping my fingers crossed, but it has worked every time so far.

I am sure that JLCR has prevented several long walks for me, as well as being able to recover the rocket in the first place - launched in a field that I wish was a little bigger.

Design your own.
I wholeheartedly concur with the recommendation to design your own. Take full advantage of all the recommendations and wisdom offered above, then do a kit bash of a 4 inch air frame and make it your own. The feeling of accomplishment, when you succeeded will be even more impactful when you fly your own design. I did my level one and level two same day, 30 minutes apart on an I and then a J flying a 4 inch upscale of my original Top Secret that I designed when I was 12 years old (DOM winner published in the July 1973 Estes MRN).

Bret

https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/mrn_v13n02.htm

Last edited:
I’m at the point where I’m ready to do my L2 cert launch. I opted to build the 3” Punisher. It’s an all fiberglass kit, head end dual deploy, and can (from what I’ve been told) handle anything you can fit in it.

I’m in the DFW area as well, Forney to be exact… you are welcome to come take a look at it.

Attachments

• IMG_2559_Original.jpeg
    IMG_2559_Original.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back