NAR Financial Situation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just read the lead article in this month's Electronic Rocketeer. I'm sure many of you have read it also. For those who have not, in short, the NAR is not in financial trouble yet, but there is potential trouble on the horizon. Expenses are up, and revenue is up less. Reserves are OK for now, but not really large.

Dues have not gone up since 2003. I found myself thinking that if my dues wen't up by $5 I wouldn't complain, and if by $10 I wouldn't do more than grumble a little. There about 7000 paying members, so $5 each would add $35,000 annually, and it looks like that would go a long way, based on the numbers in the article.

Then NAR president Hochheimer goes on to say that the best thing members can do is donate something above and beyond their dues.

Well, I just said I wouldn't complain if membership cost me $5 more per year, so I guess I'd better put my money where my mouth is. I'm donating $5 today, and maybe I'll raise that to $10 later, and I intend to do that every year (perhaps unless dues increase by such an amount).

The reason I'm posting this to the TRF community is obvious, so I won't say it.

UPDATE: I tried and failed to do that, because the "Donate with PayPal" link on the NAR web page just brings me to the PayPal landing page and I can't find the NAR in their list of charities for donation to. Can anyone help with that? I've reported it to the NAR.

Last edited:
I don't know a lot about P.P. so I can't help much :(

My membership
is up for renewal right now, I am going to add a bit to my check.

Hopefully some will kick in so they don't have to raise their rates.

It's a fact that folks do leave when rates go up :(

I tried to donate, it took me for a loop. Once I logged into PP and then went back to the NAR donate button I was able to donate.
I renewed my membership last July so mine is a donate now.
I feel that I have received more than my $$$ worth and wish to keep the NAR solvent, (unlike my pension!) and donated $20.00
I spend more than that per week on Colas.
I used my IPad For the donation.

So insurance didn’t come with membership back then? You added it as an option?

Consider writing a paper letter to the IRS asking they positively affirm our 501c3 status. I can't get matching funds at work through benevity as the IRS has our listing wrong.

Yes, pres / BOD / treas know about it -- they're frustrated as well.

Seriously, a handful of members adding $5 or $10 donations is not going to resolve a looming issue. Dues haven't been raised since 2003? That's absurd. Look, the CPI in January 2003 was 181.7. In January 2020 it was 257.971. The annualized rate of inflation over those 17 years is 2.47%. That means adjusted for inflation the current $62 membership fee should be $88. Bump it $10. If you can afford to be in this hobby, even LPR, you can afford another $10 a year. Seriously, that's less than one 3-pack of Estes C6 engines.

Back