My V2 is ready for a coat

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airforce

Reaction score
Standing proud is my recently finished Estes E size V2. Standing next to it is the Super Nova with 2 Banshees as boosters making it of course a 3 motor cluster. I vowed to build another after my first one found a tree on it's first launch.:mad:
It flew so well I said I have the kits, I will build another, so I did.

https://photos.yahoo.com/rwsw2003

Randy

Click on the V2 folder. You can look at our cat if you want.

Sweeeeeeeeet!

what color scheme you gonna paint it ..?

the supernova cluster came out very nice!

I've got the supernova stashed away ...that sounds like a great mod for it

Man, nothing is prettier than a V-2!

I heard about your Super Nova never sw it before...great idea!

But I still like the V-2

sandman

Thanks Stymye.
I have the smaller V2 in camo and it looks pretty good, so I'll probably stay with camo for the big guy.
Yes, the SuperNova and Banshees is a very cheap cluster. I have $10 in the Nova and $3 each for the Banshees, thanks to the 50% HobbyLobby sales. With CA I had it completed in a couple hours.
Randy

Sand, This is my second Nova effort. My first is in a tree.
I agree, I like the V2 also. Remember, I have to go to bed!!!
Mid ask for a picture of the V2 so I started messing with that and here I am 12:35am.
Randy:D

I would have to say it turned out real nice AirForce. And I like the other rocket to. I Bet that thing will be out of site on a few estes motors. Now for buster! we need him to pose for a few pictures with the rockets. Or better yet while your trying to build with him around,:cool:

Thanks Mid.
One of the benefits of having a rocket room, it has a door. Buster hasn't figured out the secret of the door knob yet.:D
I have a couple more pics I want to show everyone. I need your opinon on how they may or may not work. :rolleyes:
Mike, my wingman (son) has been on a imaginative roll of late and has created a, well, a rocket. He calls it an egglofter I call it an egglofter spacelab. You'll just have to wait until this evening to see it.:p
Randy

The V2 is great...probably the best rocket ever!!!!:D

That cluster is cool. I saw one this weekend that looked almost exactly the same...the center tube was 4"...it flew on a J350 (not clustered)

I have seen pics of clustered ones and you could see each individual flame...it was sweet.

Looks good airforce. Can't wait for the finished camo job.

I love the V2 too! Building a 2.6 now. Looking forward to seeing your finished camo job...

By the way...when doing camo do you use an airbrush or spray cans....whats the best way to do that? My first V2 10 years ago I was new into rocketry and painted it a flat puke green. :D

Brian

I have never done the camo before so I don't know how to do it.

My First (or one of them) V2, the Estes 4" one, is also painted puke green!...flies great though

If you want to do the splintered camo version
I found a picture of one and kinda followed it
I didn't exactly match colors but it's the same effect

the way I did my 4" V2 was to paint everything the lightest color first
than mask off a few areas in a sorta random pattern. paint the next darkest color ...than after that dries, mask the just painted layer..and the first layer, again in a sorta random pattern and paint the darkest color

make sure its good and dry before masking each layer !

Well,
Let me tell you how I did my camo paint job.
I remind you I'm not into real clean lines and masking, as sandman will verify, I'm to impatient.

I held the rocket in one hand, decided what I wanted towards the nose end and sprayed it. I moved the spray can in a random motion, I can do that good.
I selected the next color and whacked it right up over and around the first. If it over sprays, still looked good to me, just made it more random.
I repeated this process until I ran out of rocket. I didn't wait until anything dried and I used krylon primer and paint.
I was happy enough with the results I'm planning on doing it the same way with the big boy version I just finished.:D

Happy carefree random camo painting to each and everyone of you.:cool:

Randy

ps. I of course waited for the primer to dry.

sorry I forgot to shrink the picture down ..
heres a better size

Back