My Talon-6 L3 build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info guys. I have watched the ShadowAero videos (borrowed several months ago) and they were great. I forgot which thickness mylar Dave T used. Thanks for the suggestions.

Now...back to Dave's awesome build

Pics... finally.

Here's me laying the glass:

Glassin'

Then wrapping duct tape over the mylar:

Tapin'

Here's the finished tube:

Done!

That's not the mylar that's so shiny -- that's the finished, cured epoxy you're looking at.

Dave1

pretty! You'd think laying up the tape like that would be a big pain, but it was pretty quick to watch him do it. and if the tube's that good when finished I might be having to try that.

Originally posted by replacementdave
pretty! You'd think laying up the tape like that would be a big pain, but it was pretty quick to watch him do it. and if the tube's that good when finished I might be having to try that.

The tubes will take a little bit of work to finish, but nowhere near a much work if I had to sand, gelcoat, sand, sand some more, ad infinitum. Thanks for the great tip, Con! It's a huge timesaver.

Dave1

Agreed - it looks great :D

If only I would have known that a couple months ago...

Wow! That makes the tubes look amazing. I wonder how that would work with Aerosleeves? I don't think I've seen Dave1 ever talk so much....sure everything is right?

Edward

Yeah yeah, sure...

My money's on epoxy fumes ;)

That or he's got some inside info on the case and we'll all be able to possess N2000's tommorrow.

Edward

Originally posted by edwardw
Wow! That makes the tubes look amazing. I wonder how that would work with Aerosleeves? I don't think I've seen Dave1 ever talk so much....sure everything is right?

Edward

Ed Check my L3 Thread and look at the tubes my Daughter did on her 3" Thor. She used this methoud with the Aerosleave on it.

And if your around Dave long enough.. Like as a house guest. cough cough.... You will find he says more then you Think..

Originally posted by Skylinkdave
The tubes will take a little bit of work to finish, but nowhere near a much work if I had to sand, gelcoat, sand, sand some more, ad infinitum. Thanks for the great tip, Con! It's a huge timesaver.

Dave1

Im glad you like the way it comes out. Ive been playing with this for quite sometime as my preffered way to do the layups on any Laminates I do.

Well, I have to say, it looks like a great method...

Now, before I screw up my next project, got any tips for similar results on T2T?

Well then.. Not that ive seen other then what I did. hard to get any compresion with so many angles and areas. Im a firm beliver in the lay it heavy and squegee it off. Going from the center out.

Originally posted by Skylinkdave
That's not the mylar that's so shiny -- that's the finished, cured epoxy you're looking at.

Dave1

Wow! I thought for sure that was the mylar...

Originally posted by constevens
Well then.. Not that ive seen other then what I did. hard to get any compresion with so many angles and areas. Im a firm beliver in the lay it heavy and squegee it off. Going from the center out.

OK, that's what I've been doing...

It works decently well, but still leaves a lot more finishing work than that body tube does.

So anymore word on your project Dave? Im getting excited to see more work on it.

Originally posted by constevens
So anymore word on your project Dave? Im getting excited to see more work on it.

Nothing new to report yet. The next step is to send one of my tubes to Kent so he can slot the tube at the same time that he does the boattail, so that all the slots are lined up properly.

In the meantime, here's a pic of my T3 of one of my favorite flights. This was on June 23, 2001 at Hartsel. Motor was a Kosdon J345. You can't tell from the pic because they're washed out, but the diamonds were very distinctive.

talon_010623.jpg

Dave1

Ok feel free to call me lazy but I just can't get myself to sift through this thread. What electronics are you planning on using? Motor?

Originally posted by fyrfytr310
Ok feel free to call me lazy but I just can't get myself to sift through this thread. What electronics are you planning on using? Motor?

I'll be using at least one Missileworks RRC2. I haven't decided if I'll back that up with another RRC2, or something else. Motor will be an M1350.

Dave1

Awesome, I'll be using an RRC2X for my primary and a MAWD for back up in my L2 cert.

Besides the RRC2x you have at your disposal a ARTS as well. beings I have like 3 RRCx2 and an ARTS.

Back