My Talon-6 L3 build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylinkdave

Reaction score
I'm starting this thread to document my Level 3 project. I'm planning to build a Talon-6 from scratch, and fly her on an M1350WW at next year's Mile-High Mayhem here in Colorado. I haven't actually started construction yet, but I have most of the materials to get started. In the meantime, I'd like to share with everyone a bit of the history of my love affair with the Talon.

I first heard about the Talon-3 when it was announced on Rocketry Online years ago, and I said "I gotta have one of those!" I bought a kit from ScotGlas in 2000, back when Chris was the only vendor who carried it. When I built it, I wrapped the tubes with fiberglass cloth and set it up for dual deployment.

Her first flight was on August 26, 2000 at the Tripoli-Colorado launch at Hartsel on an I284. This was only my second or third dual-deployment flight, and it was perfect. The next time I flew her was at Tripoli Rocky Mountains (before the PHITS merger) on a J350. I lost her on this flight due to a failure of the electronics. After recovering what I could of the rocket, I discovered that the deployment charges had not fired, which indicated that the power to the altimeter had reset during flight. I'm convinced that this failure was due entirely to user error, as are 99% of all electronics failures.

It was a heartbreaking loss, but after only two flights, I was in love with the Talon.

Of course, I needed to build a replacement, but by this time Chris was not kitting the T3 anymore. I think this was during the time when the Talon was being transitioned from ScotGlas to Giant Leap. So my only option at this time was to scratch build the replacement. I bought the nosecone and tailcone from ScotGlas, and the fins from PML. I built it a bit stronger this time, and used a different electronics bay.

After an extended period of mourning, I set a deadline of flying her at NSL in Utah in May of 2001. I put it off for a while, and ended up waiting until the last couple of weeks before the launch to finish her.

Her first flight at NSL was on a Kosdon J450 (back when Kosdons were still legal to fly). This was a scary-fast flight, and it wasn't until afterwards that I realized I had used the wrong nozzle for the J load. I had come very close to over-pressurizing the motor.

I discovered just how strongly I had built her the second time around when I flew her on December 1, 2001. I used a Pro-38 I360, which I think was the 5-grain load. The motor failed shortly into the flight, which resulted in the booster section separating from the rest of the rocket and free-falling from about 1,000 ft. The only damage she received was a cracked fillet on the outside. The rest of the rocket floated down on the main parachute.

Since then, she's flown on a huge variety of motors, including several Kosdon loads, a few homebuilt loads, and even a J570. The J570 flight was at LDRS in Texas in 2002, and is still her highest flight, at over 6,300 ft. She just had her fifteenth successful flight at a local launch in September.

Photographs of this rocket have been published in a couple of rocket magazines. There's a pic of me standing next to it in the SpRocketry issue with the NSL 2001 article, and there's a pic of it flying on a J350 in the issue of Extreme Rocketry with the SpringFest 2002 article. Someone with a better memory than mine could probably figure out which issues these are.

Somewhere along the way I built a down-scale of the Talon, because I wanted to be able to fly a Talon at our local non-waivered launches (this was before Giant Leap released the Talon-2 kit). I built it with BT-55 tubing and it flies on 18mm motors. I call this one the "Talon 1.3" and it flies surprisingly well on a C6-5.

For a number of years now, I've been kicking around the idea of doing a Level 3. I have been undecided about which vehicle to build, and had considered a 6-inch IQSY Tomahawk before settling on the Talon-6. I hope to start construction this weekend, and I will post photos of my progress here as I go. I'll also post a few photos of my T3 flights.

Dave1

I can't WAIT to see this one, and it should be spectacular.

Great choice of rocket :)

I can definitly attest to Daves love of the talon. Ive been fortunate enough to see him fly his Talon3 and infact saw the mishap with the Pro38 failure (infact Dave as i remeber it it was the FIRST pro38 load ever flown by anyone in our club if not possibly the state of Colorado.) I even have the magazines somewhere with his mug and that pretty rocket of his stashed somewhere around here.

I look forward to Daves build as for me its one of personal Interest as besides being fellow rocketeers I consider him a great freind and very knowledgable. Dave was infact the first person in the rocketry community that my daughter and I had made contact with when I got into a Club and HPR. He himself has signed off on all 3 of my certs. Knowing Dave Im sure it will of course be a top notch build as alot of what Ive learned has come from Dave and I know his skills and knowldge are Top notch.

So go get em Dave!!!!

Scratch built Talon 6....waaay cool.

I will be watching this thread develop for sure. I too am a big Talon fan (although I have not built or flown one yet!). The Talon pushes the K.I.S.S. theory somewhat with respect to a level 3 cert attempt....however I respect those that add some additional complexities / challenges to their projects.

I'm curious to see how you tackle fin alignment on the Talon 6. And of course look forward to the completion / successful flight.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Westy

Here's a photo of the T3's first flight, on September 26, 2000 at Hartsel. Motor was an I284.

talon_000826_1.jpg

Here she is returning on her custom-made red, white & blue chute:

talon_000826_2.jpg

Dave1

I guess it's probably legal, but is it "right" to copy the design of a rocket when the designer is a well-known friend of our hobby (Kent Burnett...now at GiantLeap)? Up-scaling Estes & other stuff is one thing...you're creating something that doesn't exist, but there IS a Talon 6 kit available...

The Talon's a little weird, the design (designer too?) went from one company (forget who...something "...Glass")...then to Hawk Mountain, then to GL.

Hawk Mountain still makes/sells a Talon 3 kit (Kent said it's not as well equipped as the GL glass version) & GL makes a 2,3,4 and 6 version. And maybe the GL Talon 6 came out after you started your build....I know it's pretty new.

But in general, shouldn't 'we' be as honorable as possible about not scratchbuilding a clone of something that's currently availible in kit form? And IS there a legal angle that needs to be considered?

Don't wanna be a bummer...I LOVE the Talons too, and I think you did a great job, Dave. But I like the people at GL...they were super helpful & accessible when I built my Talon 2...and I'd hate to see a precedent set where people start cloning kits & taking business away from the small companies that are so crucial to the success & future of model rocketry.

This thread really went south fast so it's done. Although the last post I left may stir controversy, I decided to leave it as food for thought...silent thought...for the membership.

Sorry to all for lack of response. I haven't been around much..a situation which will not change for a while longer at least.

Okay folks, I just talked to Kent and we have come to an agreement.

Kent's first request is for everyone to leave Rock_It alone. He was simply doing as Kent asked. Rock_It is not to blame for any of this.

From here on out, let's just concentrate on the build. I'm currently glassing my airframes, and will be posting pics later tonight.

Thank you to those who kept the thread on-topic.

Dave

I'm glad this comment got in before I closed the thread. I may have closed it too early, and probably hacked some good stuff out. It's back open. Please continue the technical discussions.

I'm glad this thread was reopened...

Dave, who made that red/white/blue chute in your T3 picture? Just wondering...

Originally posted by Dan
I'm glad this thread was reopened...

Me, too. Interested in seeing how you set it up for true D/D.

I was watching Dave lay that fiberglass today on the body tubes, I can't wait to see how they come out from under the mylar.

So much for step 1. This thing is going to be sick!!!

Lookin forward to the pics.

Yup Rep-Dave its gonna be cool. I cant wait to see it.. Very interesting technqe he is using there... Wonder where he got that from.. LOL.

Originally posted by Dan
Dave, who made that red/white/blue chute in your T3 picture? Just wondering...

It was made by Nadine "Photos By Nadine" Kinney.

Dave1

I'd tell you but you'd have to buy dinner first.

A very unique and new approach to finishing a rocket off. Especially for people like me that think filler and such weigh a rocket down.

For those that haven't seen Conway's L3 build thread (which was a waaay cool thread and launch) Dave1 is using mylar and duct tape for an oh so smooth finish on the glass.

Dave

BTW, where'd you get the pill bottle idea from?

Okay, I glassed my airframes today.

I stole - I mean borrowed - the idea of wrapping the tube with mylar sheet and duct tape from Conway's daughter. After wrapping the tubes with glass, I wrapped a sheet of mylar around it, then wrapped that with duct tape. The result is a nearly glass-smooth finish that only needs a little sanding before it's ready for assembly.

This pic is me rolling the cloth onto the tube (I'm the one on the right, sorely in need of a haircut and a shave).

Dave1

Okay, so I'm clueless and can't figure out this file-attachment thing. I'll post pics later (probably in the morning) when my photo host is back up.

Dave1

Ok Dave2.. Dinner it is in New Mexico at the Xcup.... Thanks for the props. I owe everything I have done to this date to my peers like you and Dave1.. As far as the pill bottle idea... Umm I got it from...umm.. Ok you busted me. From you ya big goof.

Now on with Daves build.. and Thats right he learned from my daughter(lol)!!!

from the mouths of babes......

Dave's build is going to be way cool this winter. MHM is going to be a great event this year. I think the crowd rooting for D1 will be HUGE!

I'll be he'll make himself the cover for the Mile High Mayhem video next year. ;)

Originally posted by Skylinkdave
Okay, I glassed my airframes today.

I stole - I mean borrowed - the idea of wrapping the tube with mylar sheet and duct tape from Conway's daughter. After wrapping the tubes with glass, I wrapped a sheet of mylar around it, then wrapped that with duct tape. The result is a nearly glass-smooth finish that only needs a little sanding before it's ready for assembly.
Dave1

What thickness of mylar is best for this application? Also, did you spray it with Release agent before applying? I haven't tried this method of glassing before and it seems much easier.

Anyone else experienced with this can also add a comment though let's keep the thread mostly on target for Dave's build. You can PM me as well.

Thanks

Originally posted by MarkM
What thickness of mylar is best for this application? Also, did you spray it with Release agent before applying? I haven't tried this method of glassing before and it seems much easier.

Anyone else experienced with this can also add a comment though let's keep the thread mostly on target for Dave's build. You can PM me as well.

Thanks

I'm not exactly sure what thickness it is. Conway can give you more/better info on it than I can.

Dave1

Off top my head I dont remember the mylar thickness. But I know its less or close to .030 inch thick I belive. Its great as a release agent and I have some pictures of its use in my L3 thread here on TRF of how I used it. I also have a release agent that sometimes I do use but its not nessacary as the Mylar will release all on it own. The compression wrap works great for squezing that excess epoxy out and helping form a nice finish on the product. You will need to sand a little and maybe a light touch up with some body filler for some of the pin holes but no biggie. Its a better look then just glass that cured open. Plus it helps force the epoxy into the glass and the phenolic/cardboard for good saturation and the glass in an even state of thickness.

This is basically the method used by Dave Triano(sp?) in the videos from Shadow Aero.
There the tubes are laid up in a normal fashion with some extra epoxy just to help be sure of a very smooth surface and minimize the number of air bubbles.
Then a wrap or two of mylar is added; he used 0.014" mylar but I have done it with 0.005" and it worked fine.
Use masking tape to secure the mylar.
Then wrap with heat shrink tape.
He sticks it in a curing oven to constrict the tape and cure the epoxy.
I think a quick zap with a heat gun would shrink the tape, just be sure not to cook the epoxy.
How do you make sure to shrink the tape without heating the epoxy too much?
Got me by the short and curlys.
I can tell you that a hair dryer does not seem to get hot enough to have much if any effect on the tape.
I'm pretty sure that the last tube I did this with I did not get enough constriction of the tape and had a number of air pockets which left fairly big holes on maybe 15% of the tube.
Where there are no bubbles the tube is in a "sand to prepare for painting" type of condition.
Method works.
And works well.
YMMV, especially if you live in Minnesota or cheer for either the Pittsburgh Steelers or Iowa Hawkeyes.

Greg

I didnt know that Shadow Aero or Dave Triano did that. I first used this method some many years ago but never used the Heat tape. Just started at one end and compression wrapped with it in a spiral from one end to the other. It does leave quite a nice surface.

Definitely worth the money.

IMO, the heat tape is the way to go for maximum compression/minimum resin content, but if you don't want to mess with a curing oven and all the associated hassles, the duct tape sounds like a workable alternative. I'll have to try it for my next project.

Originally posted by constevens
You will need to sand a little and maybe a light touch up with some body filler for some of the pin holes but no biggie.

This is what I found when I unwrapped one of my tubes last night. Nice finish, but a few pin holes in the cloth.

Dave1

Back