My LOC/Precision 4" Goblin - just about ready

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markfsanderson

Model Rocketry Returnee ...
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
57137023765__99C77D5F-1F12-4EE0-92B7-8858E5EAF32F.JPG IMG_2004.JPG

IMG_2006.JPG

My 5 year old son, Charles, is standing next to my nearly complete LOC Goblin - he wants to launch it and is practicing his 5 4 3 2 1 Blast Off! Just about ready for launch, just need to install the rail buttons. I really loved the kit, very high quality. My first LOC Precision of any kind. The only downside was my bad finishing technique - I'm still learning. My epoxy filets turned out rough so I tried smoothing them out using Elmers wood filler. I think the wood filler was old/bad and it didn't turn out very good. Nevertheless, I primed, painted and applied decals . . . Looks good as long as you don't get too close! Next time its Rocket Poxy for Filets . . . I also finished a Xeno (also a nice kit) and am working on the Hyperloc 163 w/stickers purchased from Stickershock and a Hyperloc 835 . . . all very impressive kits.
On this Goblin, I'm creating an upgraded nose cone ebay to hold a Jolly Logic Altimeter 2 and will probably use the JLCR on this one as well.

Mark

One fin is supposed to be black! :D :D

but it sure looks sweet!! happy flights with it!

The rail buttons (the bottom one at least) should screw into the lower CR. Use a wood screw. You will also need to mark a line to keep the two buttons aligned.

If I may (this is my 'standard procedure')
I add a bit of 1/4 ply to the CRs, and shape accordingly. just a 1" chunk. this turns a portion of the CRs into a 1/2" piece. Then align these two as you build your MMT. These 'blocks' are where you will attach your rail buttons. (It's easier to hit a 1/2" area than a 1/4" area!) I will then mark the tube with a line between the fins, where I want to put the buttons, and will also then place the MMT beside the tube and mark the areas of these blocks. I now know where the buttons will go. Install the MMT, then drill for the buttons. Then add fins & such..

You can get nice fillets with any epoxy. It just takes practice!

Last edited:
One fin is supposed to be black! :D :D

but it sure looks sweet!! happy flights with it!

The rail buttons (the bottom one at least) should screw into the lower CR. Use a wood screw. You will also need to mark a line to keep the two buttons aligned.

If I may (this is my 'standard procedure')
I add a bit of 1/4 ply to the CRs, and shape accordingly. just a 1" chunk. this turns a portion of the CRs into a 1/2" piece. Then align these two as you build your MMT. These 'blocks' are where you will attach your rail buttons. (It's easier to hit a 1/2" area than a 1/4" area!) I will then mark the tube with a line between the fins, where I want to put the buttons, and will also then place the MMT beside the tube and mark the areas of these blocks. I now know where the buttons will go. Install the MMT, then drill for the buttons. Then add fins & such..

You can get nice fillets with any epoxy. It just takes practice!

I figured out that one was supposed to be black a bit late . . . haha! I knew how to do filets, but I got sloppy/lazy in doing them and tried to patch it later on . . . didn't completely work. I'll be installing the wood screw type of rail guid into the bottom CR, they are 1/4" thick and with epoxy it should work well. The other guide will about 2 or 3 inches from the top of the main body tube utilizing a screw, blind nut and epoxy. On this one, of course, I'll have to make sure its smooth to prevent snags during para ejections. It should be a fun flyer. It turned out to be right at 1300 gms before engine . . . so I should be able to do some mid-power with it as well . . . Oh, and I'll be using a 36" long x 1" aluminum angle piece to locate the two rail guides vertically . . .

Thanks!

Mark

PS: Advice is Always appreciated!!!!

Last edited:
Back