My first Serious Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
Ok, now on to, what I hope, will be a great thread...

I am starting a PML Sudden Rush with a CP3K system and was wondering if any of you rocket scientests have built one and want to share your experiences.

I have built one!

Great rocket when built and finished right! Mine flew on a J275 for a beautiful L2 flight. It flew again this summer on a Pro54 J295.
Really sweet motor. Anyways, when built right it can really take a beating.

My recomendations are to upsize the main chute, 48" is too small. a Rocketman R7 works really well. Also, add nomex shock cord protectorsto the straps below the pistons (cause separations just suck;) )

Next, for the altimeter, I used an Altacc2A with those little adapters from blacksky. Work great until I crashed it, but that beside the point. pretty easy mod, you just have to drill two holes in the airframe using the provided (with the altimeter) template. If you are using QT then sand the heck out of EVERYTHING to be glued with 60 or 80 grit sandpaper, gives a better bond than the recommended 100-120. my last recommendation, you don't have to follow, if you just want to put the rocket together how it is, but if you are willing to spend a little more money and time on the build, I would get some 3" phenolic, and cut new tubes, then glass it with a layer or two of 6oz. and do tip to tip glassing on the fins. Then the rocket will be super durable, and can take a J800 with ease, not to mention any possible damage from landing, transportation, or when you accidently drop it on the garage floor (everyone has done this before right?:eek:). If you choose to cut new tubes and glass it, make the booster tube longer, and skip the whole kwik-switch motor mount thing, and leave the urethane/plastic thing off the end of the motor tube, then it could take any motor you want. later in the future.:D

Recognize that the rocket will fly just fine, if you don't do any of these, bu the rocket will last longer, and have a larger number of choices for motors, if you do.

I would do all of these if I had it to do over again.;)

HTH

Back