My first rocket launch!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluegillbronco2

Reaction score
This is the video of my first ever model rocket launch and first post on this forum. After spending the past 4 months collecting, acquiring hardware, and building rockets my father and I decided that we had a good window in the weather to go launch two of the rockets. We decided to launch the Estes Sizzler (the new one) and the Estes 220 swift. We picked these because they were simple and had the least chance of going too high and drifting away in the small park we launched at.

Here is the video: https://youtu.be/ZhioxMxCx9E

I avoided a potential disaster by repacking the parachute after discovering the shock cord to be directly in between the wadding and the place were the ejection charge goes off. But the sizzler flew beautifully and came down nice and soft. After the 220 Swift went around 500 ft in the air we had some trouble finding it. I was just about to give up and accept the loss of my rocket when I caught a glimpse of yellow an black sicking up from the ground. It survived the ballistic fall just fine with only minor battle scars on the nosecone. I got lucky since it only landed 6 inches away from a sidewalk. I can only imagine the carnage that would create.

I look forward to launching our other rockets once we have the weather window and find the place to do it. I have the Estes Sizzler, Chuter 2, 220 swift, and the Amazon. My dad built the Estes Crossfire ISX and Viking. I also have a scratch built mini engine two staged rocket I am building for an engineering class.

Back