What to do with seven 1/4A10-3T motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batjac

Reaction score
I built an Estes Swift 220 and bought a couple of packages of 1/4A10-3T motors for it. After seeing it Jart on the first flight, I've decided I'm not comfortable with launching it again. So, what should I build to use these engines? I also have a multitude of 1/2A10-3T engines, but I have another idea for those.

Mark

Jart? Those 1/4As are my family's preferred motor for Mosquitoes and Swift's and other tiny tumble recovery rockets that spit the motor.

Yes. Sorry. Was a long day. A 1/4A10 would impossible to find after launch. 1/4A3.
Then my recommendation would be to get another Swift and modify it so that the nose pops and maybe deploys a little streamer for visibility. That's what I did with mine, along with installing a Micro Maxx motor mount.

A Trident as suggested by Scott_650 is also a good idea.

Okay, i ordered both the Star Trooper and the Trident. The Trident seems like a good intro to clustering. I have plenty of 1/2A and A motors I can use after the 1/4A motors are gone.

Jart? Those 1/4As are my family's preferred motor for Mosquitoes and Swift's and other tiny tumble recovery rockets that spit the motor.
Although I think risk is minimal, what I don't like about the Swift and DO like about the Mosquito is the nose cone tip. Although I would prefer not to get bonked with either, since essentially this is ballistic recovery (featherweight, to be sure, but still ballistic), I'd rather encounter a rounded nose cone tip than a pointy one. I like @Antares JS idea of nose-blow recovery, definitely safer and likely a bit slower on the way down. People don't often think about how chutes and streamers not only slow the rocket but also, waving in the slightest breeze, make it easier to see on the way down and locate on the ground.

Sounds like you have a plan now, but for future reference, seven 13mm tubes should fit in a BT-60 with some light sanding of the body tube and the outside of the motor tubes. (Such a rocket is on my long-term build list, albeit fairly far down it.)

I fly these two with the A10_3 Nice
Motor. I fly with a streamer on them because they go up around 7 to 8 feet. Fun motor.

Attachments

• 20220810_194236.jpg
    20220810_194236.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 0
the centering rings are going to be a PITB, though. Might be a good one for Gorilla Glue Polyurethane, to fill the gaps.
Shouldn't need centering rings - just attach the motor tubes to each other and slide them into the airframe. Close off the gaps at one end with some tissue paper and white glue.

BT-60 body, BT-5 motor mounts. The top CR has only 3 holes, the rest of the tubes vent between them, don't really need a rear CR as the motor tubes are a tight fit. I originally built it for my 13 mm Rx motors. This is a D40-13. Does fly well on A3-4s, never tried 1/4As.
This is my family of Ultimates. The smallest one is for 13 mm motors. I have them for 13, 18, 24, 29, and 38 mm motors.
Ultimates.jpg D40 lo2.jpg

Back